Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Best CD for newborn; not PF

My husband is still on the far side of the fence in terms of CDing, but is willing to try.  However, I know the PFs would be too much for him.  Do you ladies have suggestions for some good CDs to try that will work on a NB?  I'm looking into doing the Jillian's Drawers trial but I wanted real-life opinions from you girls. In general I would say if we do CD, we'd be more of the pocket/AIO/AI2 family, but since I haven't tried, I'm not sure.  I'd love your advice. 

Thank you!

DS#1 11/28/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Best CD for newborn; not PF

• Options

i would say fitteds, all in ones are just too expensive to buy for hte NB stage IMO.

check out graham bear wear on etsy, they have a NB bundle of fitteds and they are adorable ( you pick the prints) OBV inners and a doubler included. i believe that are about $10 a piece now. maybe a bit less if you buy the 6 pack. :)

• Options
    DH & I really loved our KL0's (Kissaluv, size 0's) for the nb stage.  DH was a tad wary of CDing, and he is totally won over - I don't think he'd ever be interested in doing disposables at this point - he's even a huge fan of pfs now.  KL0's were a very easy way to get started (they do require a cover).  A lot of people like Bum Genius AIO's (sized) for the nb stage, although I cannot personally attest to them.  We did a nb diaper rental for the KL0's to save money, although if I could do it again, I'd probably just buy them used.  Check out www.theecofriendlyfamily.blogspot.com for other nb options.  It gives some pictures and reviews.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageHadassah:

My husband is still on the far side of the fence in terms of CDing, but is willing to try.  However, I know the PFs would be too much for him.  Do you ladies have suggestions for some good CDs to try that will work on a NB?  I'm looking into doing the Jillian's Drawers trial but I wanted real-life opinions from you girls. In general I would say if we do CD, we'd be more of the pocket/AIO/AI2 family, but since I haven't tried, I'm not sure.  I'd love your advice. 

Thank you!

My DH was this way too... but PFs are his favorites now.  The rest aren't absorbent enough for him to like them.  Yes, they're easy to get on (AIOs, pockets, fitteds, whatever), but you have to change them every 45 minutes.  It's worth it to learn how to put on a PF... especially for newborns. 

Besides our PFs, our favorites are kissaluvs.  We hate our AIOs (BGs) and Thirsties fab fitteds work, but we wouldn't buy them again.  And I'm glad the ones I DO have belong to someone else, so I'm not out the money.

• Options

I really liked XS Bumgenius Bamboo fitteds for the newborn phase.  Also, XS BG AIOs were great for daddy.  DH didn't have a problem tri-folding pfs to place in a cover, but you go through more covers that way (poop not staying on the pf).

I definitely recommend getting some pfs though.  It wouldn't be very cost effective to invest in 30 newborn fitteds or aios.  You could always look for used diapers.  DD could only fit into her AIO for 5 weeks.

I had 9 KL0
    2 XS BG fitteds
    1 XS BG AIO
    20 NB GMD PFs

I washed every other day.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

dh was afraid of prefolds too, untill i had him do the simple fold where you just fold it in thirds. this is easier than fitteds i think! once he became a seasoned cd changer he graduated to the angel fold.

i love thirsties fab fitted. my lo still fits into the xs size, so i think they are worth the investment. we just have 3 for outings/relatives who are babysitting

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

my DH also eased into prefolds by first just folding them into the cover. Now that's almost all he will use for around the house. He also was afraid of snaps at first, so he like the few Thirsties Fab Fitteds in XS that we had (got them from jillian's drawers gently used section). We were'nt big fans of the Kissaluvs, much preferred our MotherEase Sandy's fitteds, they absorbed more, fit longer, and wear much better.

I really think for the newborn phase 1-2 dozen prefolds and then 6-12 fitteds for babysitter changes and outings is the ideal set-up. (for 24-36 total dipes). you would need 4-6 covers as well, and a snappi or two for the prefolds.

• Options

My DH kicked and screamed about CDs the entire time I was pregnant.  Once DD showed up and all we had were CDs he didn't have much of a choice.  He learned to fold a PF and now he won't use anything but PF's!  He says they are the most absorbant and make clean up easiest.  We only used PFs for the newborn stage and now have OS pockets and OS fitteds too, but he will still only put her in a PF if he does a diaper change.  Hopefully your DH will come around on PFs because they really are the best for the newborn stage IMO.

image EBFing, CDing, Baby Wearing, Bed sharing, SAHM and loving every single minute of it! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Sushi Sister to Chatham2007
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"