Toddlers: 24 Months+

Drawing...

What should a 2 year-old be able to draw?  I was delinquent on giving opportunities, and am just getting to this ( I HATE art projects, hated them as a teacher, too!) and she won't imitate vertical or horizontal lines.  What's normal?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Drawing...

• Having just come from "curriculum night" at dd's daycare where they just discussed this....

Toddlers are generally not interested in the form on the page produced by their art or drawing.  They are much more interested in the process itself-mixing colors, different types of drawing media (paint, crayons, chalk, markers) different textures and ways of making shape and color, cause and effect, etc.  And they'll use their imagination to describe what's on the page.

At 2 1/2, DD is just starting to try to draw things, like a circle  -and she tries very hard to draw a cat.  occasionally she'll get a fair triangle.  But she definitely enjoys the process much more than the result

• imagednagal:

Having just come from "curriculum night" at dd's daycare where they just discussed this....

Toddlers are generally not interested in the form on the page produced by their art or drawing.  They are much more interested in the process itself-mixing colors, different types of drawing media (paint, crayons, chalk, markers) different textures and ways of making shape and color, cause and effect, etc.  And they'll use their imagination to describe what's on the page.

At 2 1/2, DD is just starting to try to draw things, like a circle  -and she tries very hard to draw a cat.  occasionally she'll get a fair triangle.  But she definitely enjoys the process much more than the result

Ahh- that makes a lot of sense.  She loves ordering me to draw different things, and scrilbbling on different textures (paper/canvass/sandpaper/2X4s, lol) it makes sense.  OK, mommy, I need to lighten up and let her enjpy the process- LOL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"