High-Risk Pregnancy

Bedrest Mamas Friday Check In

This thread is for any and all Mamas on bedrest, in any form.  We are stuck home, in bed or on our couches, and could use the support of each other to make it through this time in order to get to a healthy baby!  We all know how hard bedrest is and we wish everyone a healthy pregnancy!!!!  Anyone is welcome to join, and anyone can start this daily thread.  Just copy and paste this paragraph and info lines below if you get here and the thread has yet to start for that day!

Name:  Carlyn 

Due Date: 12/2/09

When were you placed on BR: 10/13/09, 33 weeks

Type of BR:  Modified.  I was told to lay down as much as possible, stay off my feet and keep to "necessary activity only." 

Why: My blood pressures were increasing and required medication and I had some protein in my urine.  I have a history of severe pre-e and HELLP Syndrome with my first son, so my MFM is watching me closely for signs of either of those. 

Question of the Day:  What is the most insane pregnant comment you've received from a stranger?  If you aren't that far along yet and you haven't received one of these, alternate question for you: Have you thought about your nursery?  What are your plans and/or themes?

I honestly haven't received any insane pregnant comments this time around (short of the moron behind the butcher counter at the grocery store the other day that didn't know I was pregnant at 34 weeks), but I think that's because I'm still relatively new in my community, I'm a SAHM and I don't have a lot of friends here yet.  My adult interactions (outside of DH and the neighbors) have been minimal.  With my son, however, I was working as a probation officer in Indianapolis.  My probationers were crazy about saying stupid things.  One asked me when I returned from maternity leave how the BABIES were!  Sweet Jesus, I only gained like 20 pounds (versus the 40 this time around, but I'll worry about that tomorrow....)!  

I guess that being pregnant and receiving off the wall comments go hand in hand, but I still can't believe the topics that are no longer "off limits" to perfect strangers.  I mean, I'm not exactly the most private person in the world, but there is just SOME STUFF I'm not talking about with Joe Blow on the street.  I've heard accounts of strangers asking pregnant women about whether or not they're going to breast feed, whether they're going to ask for an episiotomy, or my personal fav, whether they've lost their mucus plug!  WTF!!!!!   

Re: Bedrest Mamas Friday Check In

• Screen name: jeneric04

Due Date: 12/5/09

When were you placed on BR: 10/15/09 at 32w5d

Type of BR: Between Strict & Modified?, up for bathroom, shower, meals 

Why: + FFN at 32w5d, follow up at 33w3d showed 1-2 cm dilated, 70% effaced, baby's head on cervix; given two steroid shots and taking albuterol sulfate to stop contractions as needed

Question of the Day:  What is the most insane pregnant comment you've received from a stranger?  If you aren't that far along yet and you haven't received one of these, alternate question for you: Have you thought about your nursery?  What are your plans and/or themes? 

Last pregnancy - I had someone tell me "wow - you're not going to make it to your due date - that baby's big" on the same day someone told me "really?  you don't look big enough to be that far along".

This pregnancy - "Oh another boy!  I have a book for you, so you'll know how to have a girl next time."
  • imagejeneric04:

This pregnancy - "Oh another boy!  I have a book for you, so you'll know how to have a girl next time."

When she gives you that book and I survive this pregnancy and delivery, send it my way.  I'd like to have a girl next time around....hahahaha =)

• Loading the player...
  • Name- Brigid, screen name umbcpt

Due date- 12/4/09

Put on Bedrest- 9/18/09, 29 weeks, 0 days

Type-Strict home bedrest, but have been on varying levels of it over the last six weeks. 

Why- Initially due to hemorrhage from placenta previa (resolved), now due to PTL, at 34 weeks.  I was released from bedrest 12 hours prior to bleeding again, and found to be 3 cm dilated, 50% effaced.  Then I was put right back on bedrest at that point.

QOTD- I was in Starbucks at 20 weeks or so, and this gross hairy man turned to me and said, "I love pregnant women, you all are so hot." 

Another one was a rather large woman I work with told me that she knew it was a girl because this time I was gaining my weight all over, not just in my belly.  Even now, she has AT LEAST 100lbs on me!  It made me smile that she is going to talk to me about weight gain. 

I got a third comment that said similarly to you all, "There is no way you will make it to your due date, look at your belly already."

Ohhhh...BTW, I was determined to have a girl this time, bought all of the books and swear if you follow the method, it really works.  But DH wanted no part of the science behind it...LOL, so I had to calculate, time, and take temperature quietly.

Have a good day.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

• Wait a sec, I am obviously sheltered.....there is an actual SCIENCE behind having a girl?  I need to hear this science.  I am going to be pissed if DH talks me into trying for a girl (which really just means the 3rd child he wants) and we end up with a 3rd boy (ok, not TOO pissed, but I'd really like to get my girl.....)
  • Carlyn, I hear you on wanting your girl.  I treasure the relationship I have with my mom and wanted to have the opportunity to have that with a daughter of my own.  On the same token, I adore my son and wouldn't trade him for the world.  I first heard about it from a woman I work with (there are 65 women in my office, so lots of people having babies, have had babies,and lots to get advice from, etc.; but thus is the school system!).  DH comes from a long line of boys for several generations, no girls AT ALL (aside from the women the men married!  So I had some things working against me from the start!)  My colleague had three boys and was determined to get her girl, and did.  So I bought the same book.  A link is below.  I bought all books related, and this one was the most helpful, often referred to as The Shettles Method. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-Choose-Sex-Your-Baby/dp/0767926102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256987951&sr=8-1

Basically, it all comes down to timing and ovulation and somewhat pH.  Sounds like general conception right?  Well, sperm determine sex, and male sperm are smaller, swim faster and have a shorter lifespan whereas female sperm are larger, swim slower, and live longer.  So to have a boy, you have sex right at ovulation or immediately after.  That way the male sperm are there as the egg is released.  To have a girl you have sex before ovulation (I got PG by having sex 72 hours prior to ovulation the month I got PG on the 10th day of my cycle.) That way, the male sperm have already died, and the female sperm have time to make their way into the fallopian tube and wait for the release of the egg.  They can live for up to 4 days.   

Now it took about a year to get the timing right to get PG with DD (DH works midnight shift which made it a bit trickier).  When we got PG with DS, it was the first time we EVER had unprotected sex, and funny part was it was three weeks before our wedding day.  We found out two days before the wedding that I was PG!  The book also gives a suggestion of foods that are more conducive to male or female sperm.  Old school Shettles recommended various douches to make the environment better for male or female sperm, but that is no longer recommended. 

The book is about $10-$12, and worth the buy.  One book I bought was titled something like guaruntee the sex of your baby, but it talked about genetic sex selection via invitro.  That was a bit extreme for me, but I guess for some 100% is the only guaruntee. 

I hope this helps, but I also wanted to say that I can't imagine telling someone about this unless they ask, rather than offering my two cents when someone tells me they are having a [first, second, or third] boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

• imageSamsMom91:
    imagejeneric04:

When she gives you that book and I survive this pregnancy and delivery, send it my way.  I'd like to have a girl next time around....hahahaha =)

I admit I was somewhat interested, since I would love to have that mother-daughter bond... I just thought it was funny that someone offered it up completely unsolicited!! :)  I haven't seen the woman since.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"