Upstate NY Babies
Options

Moms of 7 monthers or older

We are planning a vacation to myrtle beach in April.  DD will be 7 months old.  We will be staying in a house rental with my parents and sister, so we will have a full kitchen and washer and dryer.

Would a long drive be doable at that age?  We will obviously stop as needed, but just wondering how your lo's are at that age in the car.

We would bring our pack and play for her to sleep in.  My parent's have an old pack and play that we could also bring for her to play in outdoors because it won't matter if it gets sandy.

At that age they are sitting up pretty good right?  Are they pretty easily amused and easy going?

Would you do a week at the beach at that age?  The house has air conditioning and we would bring an umbrella for the sun.

Re: Moms of 7 monthers or older

• Options

Would a long drive be doable at that age?  Totally depends on the kid.  My DS has always had a 2 hour limit in the car.  Yet I have a friend who would take frequent 8-10 hour trips with her babies.  Definitely be prepared for it to be stressful.

At that age they are sitting up pretty good right?  Don't count on it!  Some do, some don't.  A lot of babies just start sitting up at 7 months, some are taking off crawling!

Are they pretty easily amused and easy going?  Again, some are, some aren't.  Some babies who are on the go at this age do NOT like to be confined to one spot.  This is when stroller trips began to get real difficult for DS.

Would you do a week at the beach at that age?  Hard to say.  Most likely yes.  But plan on it being more work than fun.  That is how vacations are for us these days.

• Options

We took Evan to Canada when he was about that age. DH's family does a week there every year...it's a HUGE tradition.

The drive was about half the time....but still about 7 hours total. He was AWESOME....basically, the months before was when he started getting good in the car.

I sat in back with him....ready with entertainment, snacks and sippy cups. We had bought a portable DVD player and played some Baby Einstein for him. But he enjoyed just peering out the window. We stayed on his schedule of eating - and stopped when it was time.

He loved the beach - mostly we had him in his little pool under a little kiddie tent. He loved sitting in the water. The only thing I wished we would have brought, but didn't...was his excersaucer. He was sitting up ok - but his exersaucer would have kept him happy for MUCH longer. Plus, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people wanting to hold him.

I have a rough checklist of things that we brought with us (we rented a cabin, so it will include a few things you don't need probably) I can email it to you if you want. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The answers to your questions are all it totally depends on the kid. 

You might try driving overnight so she sleeps the whole or at least most of the way.  That's what we do when we go out to Buffalo (a 4.5 hour drive) and it's worked out really well. 

Liam is 6.5 months and sits up very well and has been for at least a month and he can play independently for quite a while when he's in the mood. He is also crawling and can go back and forth between sitting and crawling, but he's a little advanced.  I'd think by 7 months your DD would be able to sit on her own pretty well.  I'm sure with family there she'll have plenty of people who won't mind holding her.

I'd probably be willing to do the trip at that age, but DH would probably be hesitant.  I'm not really sure what we'd do to be honest.  I'd like to take a trip this winter, but we may fly and DS will be a bit older.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Telyco - that would be great, thanks!  kristin_campbell at yahoo dot com

That is a good idea to drive at night.  I guess we won't really know until we get closer and she is older.  I hope she isn't crawling by then though!

• Options

We've never tried it.. she does seem to "time-out" in her carseat after maybe 3-4 hours.. But I bet as long as you plan on making a few stops a long the way and getting her out of the seat.. you could do it..

Eve is pretty particular about where she sleeps.. She never seems to sleep well in a PnP.. but if we were going on Vacation.. she'd just have to learn to deal. 

And I think you'd have fun at the beach at that age.. Its a REALLY fun age.. 

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

We've many plenty of road trips in Gavin's life.  For 9 months, DH was already here and we were in Ohio, so we made the drive 2x to see him (flew the other times), and we also drove to Hilton Head.  It does depend on the child.  Gavin did fine.  Driving through the night or around nap times is a great idea.  I got cussed out by someone when I told them this, but I mastered nursing while he was in the carseat if he was just restless and needed to be soothed until he went back to sleep.  It takes some work, and I know it's not the safest thing for me, but it is possible, and helped us a couple times.  :) 

Gavin was sitting up at that age, not crawling yet.  He was a bit younger when we visited Hilton Head, but he didn't like the beach because it was so hot out.  He only liked it if we went in the evenings. 

• Options
    I do not have any personal experience but friends of mine brought their 4 month old to Virginia Beach. I believe that they stopped at stayed on the way down but not on the way back (overnight I mean).  They did not have anything outwardly negative to say about the experience...
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"