Breastfeeding
Options

So confused on feeding from one side vs. both?!

I was doing both sides per feeding and she was nursing b/w 5-10mins per side. Now b/c I just discovered overactive letdown issues this week (she spits up 1-2mins into it I have to stop, burp, try again) I'm now trying the one side per feeding (I still offer her the 2nd but she's usually konked out). Do you then pump the second side? What if it's like 6 hrs between that side's feedings? Does it matter if she nursed on the 2nd side at all even if it was only for a min or two?

Also, I have no idea when I'm emptied or not. So since we now have multiple "attempts" at just the first side b/c of the spitting up, at what point do I know if that side's done and it's time to offer the second? She just spit up at 1min and then got back on for another 6 mins and took herself off so I burped her. Back to side 1 again or now time to try side 2??

Sorry for so many ?s - just SO confused!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So confused on feeding from one side vs. both?!

• Options

I don't pump the other side. You can, especially if you want to build up a stash, etc but you don't have to.

I sort of just go by feeling/what he's doing. If the side feels soft and he seems happy it's probably 'empty'.  I'll usually offer the other side but he rarely if ever takes it.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I BF just one side at each feeding and don't pump the other side. ?I try to get my LO to feed for at least 15 minutes at a time, so she empties one side per feeding...then I switch to the other side at the next feeding. ?The lactation consultant at the hospital told me that if LO only wants to feed for 15 minutes, to do it all on one side and not do 5-10 on each side. ?This insures that she gets the good kind of milk vs the foremilk. ?GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the 1st poster - if things feel softer and she's not still actively sucking and swallowing, then you may have emptied the 1st side.  You can offer the 2nd side and see if she takes it.  If she doesn't, feel free to pump - you will build up your supply faster and get a good freezer stash.  You don't have to if you aren't uncomfortable though.
  • Options

imageJulesLuvsSean:
    I BF just one side at each feeding and don't pump the other side.  I try to get my LO to feed for at least 15 minutes at a time, so she empties one side per feeding...then I switch to the other side at the next feeding.  The lactation consultant at the hospital told me that if LO only wants to feed for 15 minutes, to do it all on one side and not do 5-10 on each side.  This insures that she gets the good kind of milk vs the foremilk.  GL!

This is what my LC told me as well. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"