D.C. Area Babies
Options

Do you think Gerber Yogurt Melts are a choking hazard?

I usually buy the Happy Baby organic yogurt melts, and even though they are pretty small and dissolve, they are very hard and don't dissolve that quickly.  I always break them up into at least fourths before giving them to DD. 

Well, I couldn't find them at Whole Foods or Target this week, so I went ahead and got the Gerber Yogurt Melts instead.  I gave DD some a few minutes ago and they are HUGE.  I let her put one in her mouth while I watched, and shocker, she choked.  She turned red and couldn't breathe for a few seconds, but I'm guessing it dissolved in her throat because she was fine.  I, of course, almost had a heart attack.  I took them away and gave her some peas and oatmeal chunks.  

The package says they are for crawlers, which she has been for three months, she pulls herself up, she has been feeding herself finger foods for over a month now.  So, WDYT?  Do you give these to your LO?  Do you mash them up first?  Why are they so big???

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: Do you think Gerber Yogurt Melts are a choking hazard?

• Options
    When I first gave them to DS I broke them in half and he was fine with that.  He can eat them whole fine now, but I usually still break them in half because it slows him down when eating them.  Otherwise they'll be gone in 2 seconds flat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    I never broke them up.  never had a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Never broke them up and never had a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If she can't handle them, don't give them to her...

I give DD the Target Brand sweet potato puffs.  She loves them.  Next, I think I'll try some cereal.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have never had a problem with them. Now that she has teeth, she bites it in half herself.

• Options
    imagecrazyDCbride:

I give DD the Target Brand sweet potato puffs.  She loves them.  Next, I think I'll try some cereal.

As always, genius advice.

She has eaten Happy Baby puffs for months and loves them.  I thought we would try something new.  She choked, I took them away.  I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue.  They are so much bigger than puffs.

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options
    imagebabypuplove:
    imagecrazyDCbride:

As always, genius advice.

She has eaten Happy Baby puffs for months and loves them.  I thought we would try something new.  She choked, I took them away.  I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue.  They are so much bigger than puffs.

As always, genius questions.

You asked: 

The package says they are for crawlers, which she has been for three months, she pulls herself up, she has been feeding herself finger foods for over a month now.  So, WDYT?  Do you give these to your LO?  Do you mash them up first?  Why are they so big???

To which I answered:

WDYT?:  If she can't handle them don't give them to her.

Do you give these to your LO?:  I give DD the Target Brand sweet potato puffs.  She loves them.  Next, I think I'll try some cereal.

• Options

Girls, Girls...play nice! Wink

I'm actually afraid to even give DS puffs - and yeah, those yogurt things look HUGE to me! I'll have to give in eventually I guess. Somebody was actually talking about this when I dropped him off this morning at daycare and having the puff/no puff debate with the teacher (again). This mom suggested breaking even puffs or cheerios in half and said she did it with her LO until he was 12 mo just to make sure he wouldn't choke. And I'm sure it does slow them down quite a bit on the quantity if you break them up.

Good luck! Trying new things is so nerve-wracking! In other great parenting moments, DS figured out how to get out of the Bumbo yesterday, and was face first on the floor...sigh.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagevtmezzo:

Girls, Girls...play nice! Wink

I'm actually afraid to even give DS puffs - and yeah, those yogurt things look HUGE to me! I'll have to give in eventually I guess. Somebody was actually talking about this when I dropped him off this morning at daycare and having the puff/no puff debate with the teacher (again). This mom suggested breaking even puffs or cheerios in half and said she did it with her LO until he was 12 mo just to make sure he wouldn't choke. And I'm sure it does slow them down quite a bit on the quantity if you break them up.

Good luck! Trying new things is so nerve-wracking! In other great parenting moments, DS figured out how to get out of the Bumbo yesterday, and was face first on the floor...sigh.

I've compared the Gerber puffs (not the melts) with the Target ones... and the Target ones are much smaller (shaped like little letters) and more easily dissolveable.  And, IMO, they taste better.  LOL.  They're pretty good...!

• Options
    I meant, "WDYT?  Are Gerber Puffs a choking hazzard?"  I was referring to the title of my post.  I wasn't asking if I should keep feeding her food that she will choke on.  I guess I wasn't clear.  I was just so surprised when I opened the pouch and they were so big!  They are MUCH bigger than any other puffs I've ever seen.
  • Options

imagebabypuplove:
    I meant, "WDYT?  Are Gerber Puffs a choking hazzard?"  I was referring to the title of my post.  I wasn't asking if I should keep feeding her food that she will choke on.  I guess I wasn't clear.  I was just so surprised when I opened the pouch and they were so big!  They are MUCH bigger than any other puffs I've ever seen.

I haven't ever saw them.  Now, I'm curious, and want to buy some, just to see...  LOL.  But, I'm too cheap to shell out $3 for that little pouch.  :)

I'd think they'd get sued real fast if any "crawler" babies actually choked on them.  Maybe you should file a complaint with the CPSC... if your DD had that much of a problem, I'd hate to think that another kid could actually choke.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"