Pregnant after 35
Options

1st Trimester results/looking for input (long post)

Hi ladies,

My Dr. just called to discuss my blood results.

I have two dr.'s my high-risk ob and my regular ob.  My high-risk guy is great, but doesn't take a lot of time to explain everything.  So, I have my regular ob for that.

Anyway, the high risk ob and I met on Monday and he said my numbers from the first trimester screen are the same as a 24 year old, which is amazing since I am 44, but that is all he really said.  Thought we should wait until the results come back from the second trimester screen, which will be back in two weeks, to decide on amnio or no amnio.  He thinks given everything he is seeing there is no reason to risk the amnio, that the baby is fine.

My regular ob just called after we met on Tuesday and she has now had a chance to review my test results.  She said my numbers are incredible for a 44 year old and that if she were me, she wouldn't have an amnio.

My Downs number is 1 in 6,200.....She said the amnio stats with my high risk ob is 1 in 500  for a miscarriage.  I would be taking a chance of 1 in 500, when I am already looking at a 1  in 6,200 problem.

l feel very lucky and blessed to be pregnant, especially at my age, naturally, with only one ovary....I feel like I have already beaten so many of the terrible odds, just want to make sure that this isn't the one I don't beat....

I am looking for input, those that had it, those that didn't....I am now more on the side of not getting it done, it is just hard since I always thought I had to get it done.

Thank you all so much, you have been amazing through this exciting process!

Re: 1st Trimester results/looking for input (long post)

• Options
    I am not far enough along to be really able to give any advice or input. But those numbers sound great! And sounds like an amnio is definitely not necessary. Yay for awesome numbers!!! Big Smile

• Options

With that result, I would not have an amnio.   1 in 6200 is only a 0.016% chance.

Plus, both your doctors also agree there is no need to risk an amnio.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know you're worried, but I wouldn't do it. My odds were 1 in 400 and I was told I didn't need it. The thought of losing the healthy, precious boy in my siggy tells me I made the right decision.
  • Options

We were (sort of) in your boat.  We decided to wait to see what our numbers were before we made a decision too.  Our numbers were good (although not quite as good as yours) so we decided not to do any further testing.  If something came back elevated, we would have done an amnio.

Stever - Love your siggy pic.  He is adorable and growing like a weed! :)

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Those are great numbers.  I think you can feel very reassured by them.  I wouldn't get the amnio, but I also chose not to get the NT scan or bloodwork either. 

Congrats on your miracle baby!

• Options

I think those #'s sound great! My chance for downs was 1/149 and everything is perfect! I would say no to the amnio, but in the end it's up to you. Again, your #'s are great! :) 

• Options

Your numbers are great!

What you do next really depends on what would be best for you. When I was pregnant with my son, I had great bloodwork etc (I think my ds risk was less than 1:2500). We opted not to do any further testing.

Then.. I started to worry. I worried that I was the rare case where it all got missed. I worried that the results were wrong, I even worried that he was actually a she. I did not particularly enjoy my  pregnancy, and, within seconds of his birth, was asking if there was any problem with my perfect baby.

SO this time, I went to the amnio before even bothering with the quad screen. I'm glad it did - I needed to know and it was well worth it for me.

That was necessary for me. It is for some women, and not for most. If you need certainty rather than odds, then you may want to consider further testing. If not, it sounds like you've had good news - congrats!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options

Those are great numbers!

If it were me, unless something from the 2nd tri screening gave other indications, then I would pass on the amnio for the precise reasons you've mentioned - that the risk of MC is greater than the risk of DS and genetic abnormalities.

It's a TOTALLY personal and individual decision, but in my opinion you gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold 'em. Smile   

Good luck

• Options
    Wow, those are great numbers! Congratulations!This has been my experience so far.I personally have decided to do the amnio because I'm the type of person who likes facts, not odds.?I knew all along I wanted a diagnostic test, but have wrestled with CVS vs. amnio.?Plus the first trimester screen -- as I understand it -- only tests for the two most common chromosomal issues. ?I didn't get such detailed numbers as you did. Where I had my first trimester screen done only gives results as positive (greater than 2 percent chance) or negative (less than two percent chance. I was negative, but I have no idea if my odds are 1/51 or 1/1000.?I decided to skip CVS based on being screen negative.?I'm doing the amnio early and not waiting for the second round of blood work for a couple of reasons. In my bloodwork, my PAPP-A number was way off. It wasn't enough to flag the screen as positive, but it gave me some pause. There is also a family history that made me concerned about neural tube and other birth defects so I wanted to do the amnio for that as well. ?I'm comfortable (well as comfortable as you can be) with the miscarriage rate I was quoted from the hospital I will be using.?Did your screen include the NT scan or was it just blood work?Based on what the doctors told you, I think it's perfectly reasonable to wait for the second round of blood work and then see where you are at.??These are tough decisions we all have to make. Who knew I would be questioning my parenting decisions before I was barely out of my first trimester? As I told my husband, I wish this was like seventh grade algebra and there was a right answer we could look up in the back of the book.?Good luck with your decision. And congratulations again with the fantastic numbers. Sounds like your one 44-year-old ovary can kick some twenty-something's butt.
  • Options

I almost didn't even get the NT scan but when I realized there was absolutely no harm whatsoever to get it, I got it. And my numbers came back 1 in 5K chances for downs. Having already been through one pregnancy loss, there was no way I was risking another by doing the amnio - and it wouldn't have mattered what the results of the NT were. 

It's a personal decision for sure, but it sounds like your doctors might be on to something. Congrats on your pregnancy and H&H remainder!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedaisydana:

We were (sort of) in your boat.  We decided to wait to see what our numbers were before we made a decision too.  Our numbers were good (although not quite as good as yours) so we decided not to do any further testing.  If something came back elevated, we would have done an amnio.

Stever - Love your siggy pic.  He is adorable and growing like a weed! :)

Thank you!!!

• Options

Thank you all so much!  It is so helpful to have all of you out there!! 

in answer to one of the questions the Neuchal Fold measured 1.2,

will keep you posted after the second tri screen, but thank you thank you thank you!

• Options

It's a very personal decision. With numbers like yours, I would rest comfortably.

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats!  Sounds like everything is great!  Getting an amnio is your personal decision, but it sounds like you don't need it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were lucky and also had good results from the NT scan.  We were leaning against having an amnio, but would reconsider if any problems were indicated at the 20 week u/s.  Again, we were lucky and everything looked good, so we did not have an amnio.  I was not excited about having a big needle stuck in my belly.
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

It is a personal decision. Your number is terrific and it seems like both of your doctors are happy with it. I wish I had your numbers.Mine was 1/570 at 39 on the first tri screen and I was told by my ob that the quad screen due to my age would come back most likely positive, so I did not bother. I already had two early losses and I didn't want to risk anything for this baby. The baby is my miracle. Good luck with whatever you decide is right for you.

• Options
    My high risk dr recommended me to have it, my ob on the other hand told me not to get it.  I went with her advice and I don't have any regrets.  Sounds like you have nothing to worry about, congrats on the pregnancy.
  • Options

It's so hard I know.  It's like, unless the odds aer 0 in 10,000 chances, we are all just sort of hanging on to that one eentsy beentsy chance that something could be wrong!  But I would not do amnio with numbers like that.  They really are excellent numbers.  My numbers came back 1:250 and I am doing amnio.  With your numbers I wouldn't have considered it.

Hope this helps.  There is no right or wrong answer here.  Its personal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"