Two Under 2
Options

screaming & shrieking- what do you do?

I am just wondering what are the best options for my 18 month old son to deter his screaming tantrums.

We try distraction, We say no and sometimes we let him have his tantrum depending on what it is.
We know he is going to have them and it's a part of the learning process- maybe we are not moving fast enough with his needs, maybe he is just frustrated because he can't figure something out on his toy etc.

I just wanted some other tips from you all.

We say tons of praise for everything- tons of hugs and kisses, but you know sometimes those screams are just a bit much or sometimes he likes to wave his hands and slap his high chair for his tantrum.

What is the best way to soothe those screams?

What do you do for tantrums?

He is very very active and on the go.
He started the tantrums about a month ago. 5 days ago I gave birth to my daughter, so I know he did not start this as a result of her although during my pregnancy he may have figured out something is up.

TIA

Re: screaming & shrieking- what do you do?

• Options

Distraction and redirection are best at that age. If that doesn't work and it is a full blown tantrum, ignore it. The more you pay attention to it, the longer it takes to die down.

GL! It's a phase - it does pass. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Dylan went thru this about 2 months before I delivered. 

Turns out he was cutting incisors and in insane pain so it did lighten up a bit with time.

I read 3 books that I found really helpful while I was overnight nursing Jace and had the time to read.

1.  Happiest Toddler on the Block.  It gives great insight into how their little minds work.  

2.  Parenting with Love and Logic (for toddlers - 6 mos to 5 years I think?).  A lot of tools that fit well with our parenting philosophy of natural consequences. 

3.  Parenting the Strong Willed Child.  Dylan was still a really tough kid with lots of tantrums so I wanted more tools.  BOY did this book deliver.  Super simple stuff that made a HUGE difference and fast.  My best take away from this one was how to "play" with your toddler verbally meaning that instead of asking questions you narrate what they're doing (like a football game).  I was shocked at how just this one little trick made a BIg difference and FAST!!!  

GL.

I know it's stressful.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Redirect and if that doesn't work, ignore them. They're trying to gain control and that is how they learn to get control, is to scream because you (naturally) react to it.
  • Options
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

Distraction and redirection are best at that age. If that doesn't work and it is a full blown tantrum, ignore it. The more you pay attention to it, the longer it takes to die down.

GL! It's a phase - it does pass. 

ITA.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    We started going through this about a month ago. I tell him that I understand that he is upset and try to label his feeling (anger, frustration, etc). Then I ignore it. Sometimes, he wants to rock and I will rock and hold him. My best defense is a good nights sleep. The tantrums usually start when he is tired.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"