Preemies
Options

Need ideas for a gift?

hello everyone,

One of my good friends just gave brith to a little boy today. She was only 28 weeks along.  He weighs  2 lbs 8 oz.  Is doing well so far.

My question is I wanted to take something up for them tommorow when I go to the hospital.  What would you suggest?  An outfit?  Flowers for mom?

Also do you guys have any advice for the parents.  they live about 2 1/2 hours away from where she delivered.   

Thanks for your help

Re: Need ideas for a gift?

• Options

I have a blog post of ideas I collected from the board on this topic:

https://takingontheworldwithourboy.blogspot.com/2009/06/faq-my-friend-just-had-preemie-how-can.html

I'm sure she can use gift cards for restaurants, gas, etc. Flowers were useless for me in the hospital and they kept moving my room so I had to try and transport them everywhere.

• Options

The baby is most likely not able to be dressed so if you want to get clothes I would suggest a hat and socks.  Maybe a little gift basket of snacks, lotion, a journal, water and a disposable camera for them to leave at their baby's bedside..

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

GC for gas and food were the BEST thing we received.  I would not go for an outfit b.c he will probably be in the NICU and they have tons of clothes for when he's tiny to use there.

OR you could make some freezer dinner?  My work rotated each week to bring us dinner.  We didn't have to cook for weeks, it was just absolutely amazing what they did for us.

• Options
    I totally agree with the gas and restaurant gift cards.  Those were the things I got the most use out of when DS was in the NICU.  It was one less thing to have to worry about so it made life a little easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto what PP said.  The "normal" gifts aren't that useful.
  • Options
    I agree, gift cards to places near the hospital are great. We weren't allowed to have flowers in the unit, so they would have been home where I wouldn't have had time to see them anyway. It's very nice and thoughtful of you to try to do something for your friend.
  • Options
    definitely gift cards
  • Options
    Gift cards are a great idea.  Also organized meals are pretty cool too.  We didn't have that, so it stunk to have to go home and eat take out for the millionth time.   Our nicu allowed the mylar ballons, so it was cute to look around the room and see those hanging.   You might check though with the hospital to make sure they allow those.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"