Multiples
Options

6 week old twins - questions re: sleep and poop

Hi everyone,

Our twins are 6 weeks old and have always had a healthy bill of health from the pediatrician.

We're noticing two things that seem strange the last two days.

Last night and today, one of our girls hasn't been sleeping well.  She's usually the "good sleeper" and sleeps really well.  Now she's just napping lightly, waking up every twenty minutes, and not getting any solid sleep.  Is this a stage, or should we be concerned?

Also, our other baby has been pooping each time she eats today.  It's been more liquid-y than usual, but looks pretty normal.  She used to go to the bathroom this much when she was one or two weeks old, but it had been more like once or twice a day recently (until today).  Has anyone else had this increase in poop happen?

If it helps, the girls are formula fed and have been for 4 weeks.  They seem happy today (despite lack of sleep and extra poop), and don't have fevers or any other symptoms.

Just looking for a little reassurance!  Thank you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 6 week old twins - questions re: sleep and poop

• Options

6 weeks is about growth spurt time, which in our house meant less sleep.  DD was always a crap napper (until about 12 mos), but her overnight sleep definitely got worse around growth spurts or learning new things.

It's been a while, but slight changes in poop like that seem to be normal from what I recall (DD was BF at that age, though).  As long as she doesn't have a rash from pooping a lot, I'd just keep my eye on it.  If it lasts for another couple days, it might be worth mentioning to the pedi.

My husband's short answer was "sounds like completely normal babies to me," if that offers any reassurance.  :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks, SGB!  I hope that you and your husband are right :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

at 6 wks ours were still pooping at night - that would put them around their due date.  can't remember when they stopped pooping at night. 

but they did eventually stop pooping at night, and then weeks later - mid-september audrey started pooping alot (all day, all night - 6 or 8 times/day), more than her  usual once or twice... then about 5 days later, vivienne started the same thing.  turned out they had a little stomach virus.  no fever, no vomit, no real change in mood, or sleep.  except vivienne started refusing formula, and for the first time ever was trying to nurse, cause she figured out bm was gentler on her tummy.  vivy also got a diaper rash.  of course we were so worried when vivy wouldn't eat, but they really handled the bug very well. 

just want you to know that even if it is a little bug, it'll be ok!  call your ped office often for advice on how to handle the poop situation if it gets worse :)

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"