Texas Babies
Options

What type of whole milk?

Alrighty ladies- it's almost whole milk time for Elise!!! I need to think about transitioning her over... so this is really random, but what brand of milk are you buying? Just HEB brand? Hill Country Fair- (HEB's "lower" line) organic? Regular? I need specifics!!

tia!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What type of whole milk?

• Options
    For Mark and myself, I just buy HEB skim.  Since I will end up getting Sarah her own whole milk, I was thinking either Promised Land Dairy or Horizon Organic.  I really like both of their flavored milks, but I will have to do a taste test for the regular stuff.  Horizon provides the organic milk that the Earth's Best formula is made from (which us what we use), and I really like that.  Of course, Promised Land is local, and that is great too. =)
  • Options

Dawn- when are you going to begin transitioning her? Are you waiting until her 1st bday or a little before? My supply has tanked and we're going oot for 5 days (sans Elise) next week.  I'm taking my pump but pretty sure it will be pointless. I'm trying to decide if I should do formula or begin milk.  I've got about 50 oz in my freezer stash... which isn't even close to being enough. 

ps- I miss you!!! We need to gtg.. especially get the girls together!!! I bet they would have so much fun! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelauren&matt:

Dawn- when are you going to begin transitioning her? Are you waiting until her 1st bday or a little before? My supply has tanked and we're going oot for 5 days (sans Elise) next week.  I'm taking my pump but pretty sure it will be pointless. I'm trying to decide if I should do formula or begin milk.  I've got about 50 oz in my freezer stash... which isn't even close to being enough. 

ps- I miss you!!! We need to gtg.. especially get the girls together!!! I bet they would have so much fun! 

I miss y'all too!!!  Ugh... I can not WAIT for Mark to finish his classes next month.  Then I might be able to actually DO stuff!!!  Right now, during the week I get home with Sarah around 5:30, get dinner for her ready, feed her, bathe and get her ready for bed, then give her a bottle and put her down around 7.  I don't even get to eat until after all that!  Then it seems like we are trying to cram everything else into the weekends.  I know the girls would have soooo much fun!  Sarah is such a social little thing, she hasn't met a baby yet she hasn't liked.

As far as the milk thing... It is my understanding that there really isn't anything wrong with giving them milk before 1 yr (unless you have a fam history of allergies).  They just drill it into your head not to because they don't want people to replace bm or formula with cow milk.  milk doesn't have as many calories nor nutrients as formula and bm do, but that isn't as big of a factor when they start getting the majority of that from solid food. 

You guys are sooooo close... I would probably just go with whole milk.  I know you are making your own food, so you already watch what she is getting solids-wise.  I would think as long as she is getting a good mix of meat, veggies and grains and eating quite a bit of them, the the milk isn't as much of an issue.  Sarah is a few weeks behind Elise, and I have already started reducing how much formula I send to daycare - she isn't all that interested now that she is eating more table foods.  I will probably start introducing whole milk in another couple of weeks.  I will probably mix it with formula at first, but more as a transition to the taste and texture more than anything.

Whew... that was long! =P 

• Options
    We started whole milk last week.  I am a freak about regular milk for her (even though I drink it) because it has hormones and antibiotics and that stuff in there.  I am using Horizon Organic with Vit. D added b/c that seems like the best option thus far.  FWIW, it tastes great!  They sell this in half gallon containers and gallons.  In the half gallons they have reg whole milk and whole milk w/ DHA and Omega in it.  I just got the gallon of reg whole milk b/c it was much cheaper.  The Horizon and HEB organic were the same price when I got the milk on Saturday.  Right now we are still doing half milk and half formula b/c she isn't really eating a whole lot of solids consistantly.  Luckily she loves fruits and vegis but she just doesn't eat a whole lot of them.  I would say we will be solely on whole milk right about her 1st bday.  We have no milk allergies in either of our families so I just decided to go with it.  She actually really likes the milk.
  • Options

We usually use the HEB brand or Oak Farms but I find that the Oak Farms milk starts smelling sour the day before the "best buy" date. Either way if I have the Oak Farms I've gotten into the habit of smelling it just in case.

Also don't use the Walmart brand milk because I think they still use the growth hormones in it.

• Options
    We started transitioning K the day after she turned one.  We buy the HEB Organic whole milk and she does very well with it. 
    baby
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"