Special Needs
Options

Does genetics play a role in Asperger's Syndrome, Lupus, and ADD?

Hi. I'm not exactly sure if I should be posting on this board or not. Actually, I've been looking online and everything I seem to find on the subject is rather confusing to me. My fiance and I are expecting our first child in 2010 and I started wondering if the baby could inherit our disorders and such.

There are a few things, specifically, that we are currently aware of.
One that came into question is my bipolar disorder. Now I've had that diagnosis long enough for doctors to make sure I knew that there was a genetic factor with bipolar. They just arent sure how much of a risk there actually is.
Another thing I'm concerned about is lupus. It runs on my side of the family, the last person to be affected was my grandmother. I have no idea whether or not genetics plays a role in that or not.
As for ADD, I'm pretty sure genetics is involved, but not entirely positive. With that, I was never actually diagnosed with ADD but my parents and my teachers suspected it.
My fiance, however, has both ADD and Asperger's Syndrome. That is the one that has confused me the most in trying to understand. I really have no idea if genetics plays a role in it or not. Also, with the other disorders I know what to look out for, but when it comes to Asperger's Syndrome, I have no idea how it begins to manifest itself in the early years. Also, I know that it falls in the AS. Sorry if this is a really... ignorant... question, like I said, I really dont know much on the subject and have been trying to look into it but most of the websites are confusing me badly, but is it possible for a child to develop a different AS disorder if they have a parent with Asperger's? 
Any information you can give me would be truely appreciated. I hope I didnt offend anybody, I really had no idea who to ask about these things, and hoped someone on this board would know something that could help me out. Thanks in advance!

Isabelle born via emergency c-section after her heart stopped 04.29.10
asthma, astigmatism, amblyopia, allergies, tongue and maxillary ties

Noah born via RCS 12.09.13
14q11.2 duplication, receptive language and adaptive behavior delays
multiple health concerns under evaluation
follow him here: www.facebook.com/lovefornoah

Re: Does genetics play a role in Asperger's Syndrome, Lupus, and ADD?

• Options

Asperger's Syndrome

From: https://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/asperger.html

Researchers and mental health experts are still investigating the causes of autism and AS. Many believe that the pattern of behavior that characterizes AS may have many causes. There seems to be a hereditary component to AS, and research indicates that in some cases AS may be associated with other mental health disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder. Researchers are also looking into whether environmental factors that affect brain development might play a role. Contrary to the incorrect assumptions some may make about people with the disorder, AS is not caused by emotional deprivation or the way a person has been brought up. Because some of the behaviors exhibited by someone with AS may be seen by others as intentionally rude, many people wrongly assume that AS is the result of bad parenting ? it isn't. It's a neurobiological disorder whose causes are not yet fully understood. Currently, there is no cure for the disorder ? kids with AS become adults with AS. But many lead full and happy lives, and the likelihood of achieving this is enhanced with appropriate education, support, and resources.

ADD 

There is some evidence that there is a biological basis to ADD.
    In 1998, researchers at Stanford using Functional MRI (fMRI) on ADD children reported to have found a biological marker for ADHD specifically in the response of the brain to being medicated with Ritalin, with ADD brains responding differently to Ritalin
    medication than the brains of Non-ADD control groups.

Genetic evidence of the disorder indicates a strong possiblity of ADD being a hereditary condition.

Lupus

From: https://www.micronutra.com/journal/lupus/is-lupus-hereditary

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder, meaning that the immune system attacks the body?s own tissues instead of just foreign invaders such as bacteria and viruses. Although it is not fully understood what causes autoimmune diseases like lupus, it is thought that there are two components: genetic predisposition and environment.

Genetic predisposition

• Lupus is not hereditary in that the disease itself is passed from parent to child. It is hereditary in that a predisposition to developing the disease is passed down from parent to child. It is important to recognize this distinction. Not everyone with a parent who has lupus will develop the disease itself, and children can develop the disease even if neither of their parents has lupus.
    • Only about 5% of children of people with lupus will develop the disease themselves.

HOPE ALL OF THIS HELPS! Smile

• Options
    Thanks to both of you for all the information. Without you I wouldnt understand a single thing I was reading. I wanted to be sure I got back to you before I left tonight, I have a doctors appointment early in the morning and have to leave tonight in order to get a ride tomorrow, if that makes any sense. I wont be back until sometime later tomorrow, but my experience is that usually after my appointments I am DRAINED, so I usually dont wind up posting for a few days afterward. Especially if they draw blood. Anyway, thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Isabelle born via emergency c-section after her heart stopped 04.29.10
    asthma, astigmatism, amblyopia, allergies, tongue and maxillary ties

Noah born via RCS 12.09.13
    14q11.2 duplication, receptive language and adaptive behavior delays
    multiple health concerns under evaluation
    follow him here: www.facebook.com/lovefornoah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"