Cincinnati Babies
Options

Siblings with close birthdays

I was playing with an EDD calculator today and realized that if this is our cycle, my EDD will be on Brenna's birthday.  Not that it matters, because we will take the BFP whenever we get it, and I will not go to term (scheduled c/s) anyway.  It still made me wonder how parents handle birthdays that close together?  I also wonder if it creates any issues with siblings?  Anyone have this with their siblings or children?  I am just curious...it won't change anything I am doing.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Siblings with close birthdays

• Options
    My kids' birthdays will be 2 weeks apart. I often wonder how we will handle their birthday parties in the future. I can see pros and cons to having parties together and seperate. I guess we will wait and see!
  • Options

My sister's kids b-days are 3 weeks apart (5 year difference).  This year she did a combination party for both of them.  As the youngest gets older (he is only 18mths) she will probably do individual parties and if family can only make it to one that is okay with her (we all live far away). I think if you hold 2 parties or 1 big one, you are still dealing with approx the same amount of money.  I think until they are old enough to truely have like skating parties, etc...that they can be held together.

S/O to what you are saying, I just told DH that I realized tonight that DD's birthday is approx 3 mths before Christmas and DS is approx 1.5 mths after Christmas LOL!  Good luck and I hope you get a BFP soon!

Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister and I have birthdays a week apart. It never bothered us and my mom always did separate parties so it never seemed like a big deal either way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My brother's birthday and mine are 4 days apart... never mattered growing up... we always had a little joint family GTG (separate cakes :) then did our own things with friends on separate weekends.  When we were really little we had bigger joint parties... didn't matter then either.  Really wasn't a big deal at all.

• Options
    My brother and I have birthdays 11 days apart (5 year difference) and it was never a big deal.  We always mostly just had family parties, so we combined them and we each got our own cake and would each take our turn opening presents.  Everybody watched me open, then they watched him.  I don't remember it ever being an issue.
  • Options
    In my family of 6 growing up, all of our birthdays were between June 5 & Sept 1, including my parents.  We never knew any different.  The stranger thing is that my sister and I had due dates that were less than a week apart and I came 3 weeks early and she came 2 weeks late.  Honestly we never knew any different.  We always had separate parties and they were always celebrated on an individual basis.  I think birthdays are always going to be near something- a holiday, somebody else's birthday, etc... I bet there are the stats to back that up too. 
  • Options

Yep.  DS's BD was a week after Christmas....poor kid.  It never seemed to phase him, but we always made a point to keep it separate from Christmas.  It is interesting, reading the posts from people who have been there.  The only thing that even made me think about it is seeing 7/25/10 as a due date if we conceive this month...DD's BD.  How freaking coincidental is that???? Really made me think....

ETA:  I hope that the freaky nature of it brings us great karma.   I am completely OK with the EDD of the next baby being the same as DD's BD...she was a week late.  Having two babies celebrating together would be a fun thing IMO.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

You and I must have pretty similar cycles because my EDD is within a few days of that if this is our cycle for a BFP! 

My sister and I have birthdays three weeks apart and it never made any sort of negative impact on anything. I agree with PP's that if it's what you've always known, there's no drawback.

Good luck with this cycle! Hope we hear good news from you soon! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

This is a little different because it deals with twins but is kind of along the same lines...I was at a Halloween party last night and was talking to a friend that is a twin.  She said one thing that she really recommended for our twins was keeping their birthdays seperate.  She said they would have one big family party, and that didn't bother them, but they always wanted to have seperate friend parties and usually were not allowed to.  She also said to make sure they each get their own cake, card, and presents.  When she was little, people would always send one card addressed to "the girls" and then they would have to split the $20 (or whatever amount) was in the card...or would have to share whatever toy they were given.  She said people always treated their birthdays as one event for them but they are two individual people who happen to have a birthday on the same day and she always appreciated being able to have something that was just hers. 

In talking to her it didn't at all sound like she and her sister just wanted more money, toys, etc...they just wanted to be recognized seperately. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My brother's bdays are 1 day apart.  When my mom was prego with my youngest brother, my brother Jeff told her that she better not have the baby on his birthday!  He was turning 3.  LOL!  Growing up my mom always tried to keep their birthdays separate and made each one feel special.  I'm sure it was a nightmare for her, but I never heard anything negative from my brothers.....at least not that I can recall. 
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"