South Florida Babies

*g8orell*

Hi! I saw that you work in pediatric dermatology. Zoe has an extreme case of Keratosis Pilaris. We saw a pediatric derm about 6 months ago who diagnosed it and basically told us we were sh*t out of luck, it's not treatable, and it may get better in time, but no guarantees. She gave us a list of lotions to try and to switch to all fragrance free and dye free soaps, etc, which we have, but nothing has helped. What do you usually suggest for this condition? I feel so badly for her, people are always asking me what is wrong with her skin and I don't want her to grow up with that!

Re: *g8orell*

• Sorry, was out of town visiting the in-laws, so I just saw this! 

Who did you see? Dr. George? Unfortunately, there is not much you can do for KP - it is a chronic/hereditary condition that does get better with age. Basically, your DD produces a lot of keratin, and that blocks the little pore that baby fine hairs come out of...so, that little hair cannot come out of the pore, so it creates a bump. Rigth now it's probably very bumpy, but with age, the bumps go down, but then it looks like little red dots. I usually prescribe an acid-based cream like Amlactin or Lac-Hydrin. I also prescribe a steroid cream if it is itchy. You can also try gently exfolliating with a loofa - but be very gentle b/c if you irritate the skin, the KP can get worse. I have a little bit and use a cream made by Avene (a very reputable company in France) called "Akerat". You don't need an Rx for it, but you can only find it at a doctor's office (we sell it) or online...and moisturize a lot!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • thanks! yes, I did see Dr. George. I am currently using AmLactin with no change at all in her skin condition :-(  She initially prescribed Salex i think it was called, but it was only for kids 2 and over, so then told us not to get it after all. I am glad to know the bumps will go down, I can deal with red dots, these bumps are just awful looking!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I wouldn't use Salex - it's salacylic acid, which I don't think would do much. Try the Akerat...it has 3 exfolliants in it, whereas Amlactin only has lactic acid. I'm sorry you're going through this, and even more sorry that there is not much to do for it!!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"