South Florida Babies
Options

Eczema?

Do any of your LOs have this? I'm 95% sure Abraham has it. Is there anything you did to make it better?

TIA

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Eczema?

• Options
    Have you tried Aquaphor or Cetaphil?
  • Options

Both. I take him a bath with Cetaphil and put Aquaphor after. It's okay but his skin still feels rough in some areas:(. I just read a study they did this past May and it says that soaking for five to ten minutes twice a week in a diluted bleach bath is what helps cure it. Gross, I hate the smell of bleach, but I'm going to ask the pedi and see if I do it.

thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Andrew had eczema from the detergent I used on vacation.

We used Cetaphil and Eucerin lotion.  It took a while but his skin cleared up.  It's never come back either.

They told me to avoid Aquaphor because it's too heavy and doesn't let the skin breathe.  But maybe if his skin is really bad and needs that kind of protection, then use the Aquaphor.

Have you eliminated any possible household culprits (including all lotions, oils, detergents, etc) that could be irritating his skin? 

imageMrs.ClariC:

Both. I take him a bath with Cetaphil and put Aquaphor after. It's okay but his skin still feels rough in some areas:(. I just read a study they did this past May and it says that soaking for five to ten minutes twice a week in a diluted bleach bath is what helps cure it. Gross, I hate the smell of bleach, but I'm going to ask the pedi and see if I do it.

thanks!

What do they think is causing eczema that bleach helps?  Did the study use babies?  I think I would exhaust all other options first. 

I would not want to take a diluted bleach bath.  Seems like that could make his skin worse if it was an irritation.  I'm glad you're going to ask the pedi though. 

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm a pedatric dermatology PA at Miami Children's Hospital. Eczema is a very common skin condition where the skin barrier breaks down very easily. Once the barrier is broken down, water leaves, causing more dehydration, and allows for bacteria to enter the skin. The key is restoring teh skin barrier - best way is to keep it moisturized/hydrated. We recommend CeraVe cream or Cetaphil Cream 3x day every single day! Always buy creams, not lotions....lotions are thin and tend to have alcohol in them. Baths should be luke-warm, and no more than 3 min. Use Cetaphil or CeraVe soap (they won't bubble - bubbles are made by detergents, which further irritate the skin). We prescribe steroid creams for eczema, but if its not that bad, just use OTC 1% hydrocortisone 2x day for 2-3 weeks. If that doesn't work, then you need something stronger, which would require an Rx.

As far as the bleach bath goes - you must ALWAYS add an emollient to the bath with the bleach. We say to use 1/4 cup bleach in a full bath tub, and we recommend Trixera Bath Emollient (or Aveeno bath kit is fine too). But, we only recommend the bleach baths for children who are chronically infected...the kids who every time they come in, need an oral antibiotic. It's to cut down on the bacteria on the skin, so we can cut down the use of oral antibiotics. If your child has mild or even moderate acne, the bleach baths won't do anything, and it is absolutely NOT a cure. There is no cure, only treatments and time. Most kids outgrow it in 2 phases....around 5-6 years and around 12 years. About 10% of kids with eczema will have it for life.

Also, laundry should be washed in Dreft, Ivory, All Free, Tide Free, or Cheer Free - for EVERYONE in the house and everyone that cares for your LO (b/c LO comes into direct contact with caregiver's clothes). No bleach and no fabric softeners (not even dryer sheets).

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm at hte hospital Monday-Thursday if you ever need an appt!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Tracy, this is the study I read https://www.babycenter.com/0_eczema_10872.bc

G8orell, thanks so much for all of the info! I'll definitely let you know if I see it doesn't get better so that I can take him in.:)

• Options

Thanks for the link Mrs C and all the professional info, G8!

Very interesting.  :) 

Drug resistant bugs are bad news so the bleach bath makes very good sense.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"