Oregon Babies
Options

no ultrasound til 20 weeks?

My doc says that insurance doesn't cover any ultrasounds except for one. So they won't give me one until 20 weeks. Last time I was pregnant I miscarried, and it sucks that I have to wait until 20 weeks to make sure everything is ok.
I was hoping not all drs are like this in Oregon, and if so, is there a place I can go and pay for an ultrasound?
I am new to this board and moved from Atlanta about a year ago, don't really know anyone so hope to meet some people on here!
Thanks for the help!

Oh and if not all docs only give one, please recommend your dr in the hillsboro/beaverton area :) TIA!

Re: no ultrasound til 20 weeks?

• Options
    I see Dr Damon Warhus at Womens Healthcare Associates and have already had 3 ultrasounds. However doctors will only do extra (above and beyond the 20 week anatomy scan) ultrasounds if its medically neccessary. There are a couple of places in town that will do a basic ultrasound for about $100. When I'm at my computer I'll send you links to their websites :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sweet, thanks a lot! I just figured they would do one to date it, but I guess not! It's very different in GA, everyone gets one around 8 weeks...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a low risk/uneventful pregnancy but Dr. Tan at Providence Milwaukie Healing place (next to the hospital) did one in office at every visit. There was only one "official" US at 20 weeks, but he had a small portable machine in his office so he was able to look at the heartbeat at the first appointment (which I can't imagine not being able to do!) and then check my placenta and baby's position later on.

He also is an exceptional OB/GYN and was awesome during my pregnancy and delivery. It looks like you live in Hillsborro, so you probably won't want to come all the way out here, but just in case :)

Just out of curiosity, where did you go for your first appt? It seems odd to not do any US until 20 weeks...don't they do a test at 8-11 weeks (NT scan I think its called?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thanks for the information, I'll check into that. I'm willing to drive for awesomeness :) I went to dr. bird at tuality obgyn for my first appt last week. So far all they've done is take a bunch of blood and urine, and ask some questions. I was surprised to not even get an exam!
  • Options

I saw Dr. Lin, who actually is Dr. Tan's partner at Milwaukie.  I LOVE both the dr.s there and when it comes time to deliver they guarentee 99% you will have your dr.  Which I LOVED!  I was high risk but I do know it's pretty standard there to do an ultrasound at most apts, which we loved.  Af the very least we listened to the heartbeat. 

It sounds like your not getting the best "service" the care might be very good but you want good service too.  There is no harm in "shopping" around till you find a dr. your comfortable with.  Remember this person more then likely will be sharing the most precious moment in your life with you.  

Good luck!

• Options

I have Kaiser insurance, but I had an u/s to date the pregnancy (turns out i was only 5w6d) then another one to look for a h/b at 7w, then the "big u/s" at 18w2d, then several more from 38w-41w to make sure I didn't have to be induced.

I would shop around and find a different Dr, especially with your previous loss, I would want the peace of mind.

Good luck!  And welcome to Oregon! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also go to Women's Healthcare associates and i have had multiple u/s, but because they were monitoring a cyst they saw in my ovary.  At my first appt at 8 weeks, i had my first u/s. So, depending on the situation, they might deem it necessary.  If it's not, you might possibly get one during the first visit, then only 1-2 after that.  Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

That is odd that they didn't do an exam!  I'd definately shop around!

Here is a place in town that does elective ultrasounds: https://www.nwprenatalultrasound.com/services.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"