Success after IF
Options

Stopping the swaddle: weaning or cold turkey?

Please share with me your experience with stopping the swaddle.  I think we're getting closer to stopping as it's starting to interfere with Jake's nighttime sleep. He tries so hard to get his arm out that he's waking himself up.  I think he's going to have a hard time in the beginning without it, so I'm wondering if cold turkey might be better rather than dragging it out with weaning.  Any thoughts?

Re: Stopping the swaddle: weaning or cold turkey?

• Options
    cold turkey.. no issues
  • Options
    We started off leaving her arms out.  It was tough for a night or two, but after that she never had any problems.  Once she was used to the arms being out, we just switched over to sleep sacks (which she still wears).  Good luck!
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehannah&ben:
    cold turkey.. no issues
  • Options

imagehannah&ben:
    cold turkey.. no issues

I agree, we did cold turkery. We purposefully did it on a Friday night so that if she fought it and kept us up all night we could sleep in the next day. I just made sure she ate very well that night and was really asleep before we laid her down. We've had no problems since and now she even put herself to sleep without it at times.

• Options
    We did cold turkey.  The first night was rough...he was up several times that night.  Probably waking himself with his newly-free hands.  But, after that first night and maybe a couple of issues for the next couple of nights...it has been smooth sailing.  Good luck!
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Grant never liked his arms in the swaddle, so from the beginning, he was swaddled from the arm pits down.  We stopped cold turkey when we went to my ILs and I did not bring the sleep positioner.  He was able to move around a lot more and broke out of his swaddle.  I switched him from the swaddle to a wearable sleep blanket to keep him warm.  He has not had any problems sleeping, in fact, I think that he may be sleeping better now!  I would highly recommend a wearable blanket/sleep sack of some sort to help keep him warm!

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We stopped cold turkey and have had no issues.  I was surprised it was so easy.
  • Options

DS weaned himself!  He was able to get his arms out (the Miracle Blanket too- he's a strong little guy) and we often went in to find him w/ his arms out.

It was when he started getting his legs out too that we decided to stop using it.  We still didn't do 100% cold turkey - we started w/ naps, then moved to bed time.  But it didn't take long.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    We weaned and it was hard.  We only swaddled at night, so we did one arm out and DD had no problems with that.  She even STTN with one arm out.  2 arms out though, was very difficult.  She had a hard time with that.  It probably took us 3 weeks to break DD from the swaddle, but we did it.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"