Special Needs
Options

2yrs old or older with licking/mouthing issues?

My son is 2 and 1/2 yrs old and still licking/mouthing toys.  Particularly with musical toys.  He has all his teeth and is eating solid/table foods.  We have given him teethers, vibrating teethers and popsicles once we see him licking/mouthing toys....but he dislikes them all.

We do weight barring activities and at one point of time, we have taken away all the toys that he licks, but then he began to lick the walls, floors and his hands.

All the therapists instructs to not let him lick the toys by telling him once he does it or redirect him to do something else.  Hoping that this habit will go away.

Just need more ideas or suggestions from anyone else that has had this issue or is still going through this. TIA!

Re: 2yrs old or older with licking/mouthing issues?

• Options
    DS is an oral sensory seeker as well -- puts everything in his mouth, licks doors, walls, couches, etc.  All of our therapists have said that he needs the sensory input (he has SPD) and that we need to find alternative ways to give it to him.  I ordered some chewy tubes to offer him as a more appropriate chewing alternative.  I will offer him chewy food (bagels, pizza crust, apples to gnaw on) as a way of redirecting him.  We also have a Nuby gum massager that we use to massage his mouth/gums.  I think it is really is a matter of trial and error to see what you can give them that is "appropriate" to satisfy their sensory needs that they like.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

he craves input so give it.. :)

1. massage the area with your hands when you see he is seeking

2. tootsie rolls

3 tootsie pops

4 licorice

5. anything healthy if you aren't into candy that you can t hink of similar to above dried mango etc

6. gum.. i figure adults chew gum not their shirts ;)

redirect is old school.. its not a habit, he is craving it not just doing it for kicks

a good one is putting your finger sideways under his chin and lightly pushing up and down so sort of opening and closing his mouth for him for lack of a better way to describe ..

i know it's not fun :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I will give them ALL a try.  Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"