Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

I feel like a bad mom...

DS slipped and fell on the kitchen floor yesterday. He landed on his left ankle. It didn't seem like a bid deal. I was right there and picked him up. We gave him a bath and then noticed that he wouldn't walk and was acting like his ankle was hurt. It was a little swollen but (obviously) not broken. H was here to see him and we decided that we would let him sleep and I would see how he was doing today. He wouldn't walk all day long. I called the pedi and she said I could do one of the following: let them order and xray and wait for the results tomorrow, then go somewhere and get a splint if needed, go to minor emergency, go to the er or see how he was doing this evening and go to the after hours pedi if needed. I opted for the last one. I gave him motrin for the swelling and waited until 4:00. He still wasn't walking so I took him to the after hours center. They did an xray and said there wasn't a fracture and determined it was just some kind of contusion and he should feel better soon. While we were there he was screaming and the pedi asked if he had thrush. I told her no his lips were just chapped today. Then she pointed to the white spots all over the inside of his mouth. Turns out he does have thrush, his lips are not just chapped. Now I feel awful because I have to hold him down to brush his teeth. I thought he was just stubborn about it. He was in pain. That makes me so sad :(

Re: I feel like a bad mom...

• Options
    You are not a bad mother. Don't even say that. Bad mothers wouldn't care the way you do, and definitely wouldn't be taking their child to the doctor.
    You are doing all you can, and from what I've read on here from you, you are an amazing mom. : )
  • Options
    Ugh. It happens to the best of us. It doesn't make you a bad mom. Hang in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    it is so hard to see your baby in pain.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't beat yourself up. You aren't a bad mom and that could have happened to anyone of us on here. Our kids are at a stubborn age and I seriously would have thought the same thing.

As for the leg thing, when I was 2 I thought I was a bird and could fly and jumped off the back of my couch, landing on my arms. Well I was hurt but no signs of a broken or fracture so my parents took me to the lake that weekend and I was holding onto my arm the whole time. When we got back from the lake my parents took me to the ER turns out my arm was broken. Point to the story kids are resilient and your little guy will be PERFECT he will get over the thrush and never remember it (unless you tell him)

• Options
    Aww, Jamie :( I'm sorry to hear that. Don't feel bad. This is what happens when your toddler still can't tell you what's wrong. I hope he feels better soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"