Trouble TTC
Options

question about metformin

My OB dx me with pcos.  I started met, but discovered I was pg 4 days later so I stopped.  We lost the baby so now we are starting over.  I just started back with met on Saturday and last night it made me extremely sick.  I was in the bathroom 3 times in an hour.  My OB never told me any specific does and don'ts while taking met.  Should I be following some dietary guidelines?  My sister, who is a nurse, said I should be avoiding sweets if I'm on met.  I had dessert last night so I'm wondering if that caused the stomach problems.  I just wish I had been given more specific instructions.  I go back on Thursday for my post d&c appointment so I'll definately be asking questions then, but any advice you ladies have is greatly appreciated.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: question about metformin

• Options
    Greasy foods caused the most problems for me.  I was not expecting it and I had a south beach pizza the night I first took Met and was sick all night.  Since then I have avoided burgers, pizzas, and anything else greasy and been fine.  I have been following the south beach diet so that wasn't that big of a change.  The only s/e I have not is that I feel nauseous a lot.   Also there are a lot of girls on the Infertility board that have been diagnosed with PCOS and take met so you might get more answers if you also post over there.  
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options

I am on Metformin and I was SOOOOO nausous the first month or two.  My OBGYN said it takes time for your body to adjust to the meds and get your insulin back on track, etc.  So I just rode it out......but there were days that I just cried and said 'this can't be right......I have to get on something else......' but it went away.  Now I'm totally fine on it with no s/e. 

Hope that helps.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I started Met at the end of June and had lots of GI symptoms at first. My RE had me gradually increasing to 1500mg/day. I started on 500mg and with each increase had symptoms but then my body would adjust. I agree that greasy foods made it worse. I also took mine at night to try to sleep through the worse of the symptoms. I got pregnant 2 weeks after starting it and took it through my first 12 weeks.

I hope your side effects ease up!  Hang in there!

• Options
    I think I'm just going to have to watch my diet and deal with any s/e.  I just wish my OB had told me to stay on it when I did get pg.  I can't help but wonder if I would still be pg if I had.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just got DX with PCOS this week and my OB is putting me on Metformin.   She is going to start me with 500mg at night and then when the symptoms go away 500mg in the morning and once those symptoms go away to increase to 1000mg at night and then 1000mg in the morning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Maybe you've heard something different but I don't think stopping met could cause a miscarriage. Sometimes unfortunate things just happen. Please don't blame yourself. Best of luck !
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"