Illinois Babies
Options

NBR: Chicago day trip

Hi Y'all!

I'm a lurker from TN, and DH and I are taking a day trip to Chicago near the end of October. (When I say 'day trip', I mean we're flying in at 8am, and out at 8pm). We're not really looking to cram our day full...some photos at the Cloud Gate, perhaps a trip up tp the ledge in the Sears Tower, and some shopping at H&M (we don't have one here). I just had two quick questions, and I know ladies here always have the inside scoop!

#1: Lunch: Where should we go? We're adventurous, and budget isn't really an issue, but we'd like to stay close by the landmarks I mentioned.

#2: Dress: What will the weather be like? Is it already freezing the last week in October?

If there are any other tips/suggestions, I welcome them with open arms.

TIA! Enjoy your Sunday!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NBR: Chicago day trip

• Options

I LOVE Pizzeria Due (619 N Wabash Ave between Ohio St & Ontario St) for some authentic chicago pizza.

Weather? It's not that strange to see some snow in the end of october.... it was like 34 deg this morning and it's only the 11th. Wear layers and bring a warm coat, you never know what you're going to get this time of year, it could be beautiful. If it's not freezing you might like the farris wheel at navy pier, good views!

Doubt you have time for a museum on top of those other things but the museum of sci and industry is the best in my opinion if you can only choose one. 

Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options

Hope you have a great time while you are here.

Lunch: Since you will be going to H&M, not sure which one, as there are two.  However if you go to the one on Michigan avenue (which I recommend since it is bigger)... I would go to Food Life across the street on the mezzaine level of the Water Tower.  

If you crave some soup on a cold day, soup box is on the corner of Chicago and Wabash.

I would wear layers.  I usually wear a cami, l/s shirt and a northface and pack a scarf.

Print off a map of Chicago before you come!

They have one Michigan Ave (magnificent mile) available online at the city of chicago website.

Hope all this helps! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. On Michigan ave there is a Grand Luxe Cafe (similar to Cheesecake factory) which is really easy to walk to and good shopping along the way.  Or there is great pizza on state street, Pizzaria Uno's. Or on Rush St. there is a good place called Gibsons.  Also, it is fun to go to the top of the Hancock building and get a drink before dinner at the bar and lookout at the great view (I know you mentioned you were going to the Sear's builiding, but thought I'd mention this).

2. You never know how the weather will be.  Currently is is in the mid-40's and cloudy.  Definitly bring a coat, sweater and scarf just in case.

Something neat to do would be to take an architecture tour.  You ride in a boat along the Chicago river (right through the city) and you learn about all of the buildings.

Have fun while you are visiting, Chicago is a great city!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just had to say, as someone born and raised in the Chicago 'burbs, I had NO idea what the Cloud Gate was until I looked it up. We call it "The Bean" in Millenium Park. :-)

I agree, definitely get some REAL Chicago pizza while you're in town. And be prepared for both warm and COLD weather, since it's been pretty chilly as of late. If the weather's nice, a riverboat tour would be nice, and Navy Pier is neat to visit as well.

Have fun!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP/Labor/Everything Buddy: Papetvet/Erpetdoc
  • Options

I agree with Pizzeria Uno or Due for real Chicago pizza, or go to the Signature Room at the top of the John Hancock instead of going up the Sears Tower - the view is better and you don't have to pay the fee to go up there.

I have to disagree with the Grand Lux cafe suggestion (it's okay but nothing special) and the Food Life suggestion (the food's nice but it's in the basement of the mall and is basically just a glorified food court).

Have a nice trip!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"