Birth Stories
Options

*natural birth*

How many people would recommend a natural birth over having lets say an epidural for pain management?

I think I'm more afraid of having a needle stuck in my back then facing the pain of labor. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *natural birth*

• Options

I recommend the epidural.  I was the same and terrified of the needle and trembled like a leaf the entire time!  My anesthesiologist explained everything before and as he did it and what I would feel and he explained it perfectly.  When it was complete I felt much better and felt no contractions for the rest of the time.  I was in labor for 26 hours total so it was nice to not feel anything for 7 hours of it (I never really had too painful of contractions until that point...probably because he was a preemie)! 

The only problem I had was that I had major back labor that I didn't feel until I began pushing so I felt everything pushing him through...for me pushing only lasted for 10 minutes due to his size but it was pretty painful!  So I was happy I had the epidural because I was able to relax and not have any pain up until the end.  I think I would have been too exhausted and in pain to push if I hadn't gotten it to begin with!

That was just my experience...I am not sure what others will say and to each there own...but for me it was well worth it and a good experience!  Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am worried that I'll be in labor for a long time. 26 hours is very long. I am considering an epidural more and more now. I want to be able to relax and prepare myself for the birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There are pros and cons to both.  Even if you go "natural", you still have to prepare for pain management during labor through breathing and such.  If you choose to have an epi remember that is okay too, in all likelihood you won't have issues BF or bonding with baby. 

I had an epi and I would absolutely do it over again in a heartbeat.  J was able to BF within 30 mintues of having him after they stitched me up.  I was up and walking around within a couple hours. 

It's a scary thing to do since they are putting a needle and a catheter in your spine, but if done correctly there really isn't much of a risk.  I had to have 2 epi's because my first one kinked.

My biggest selling point on getting the epi was that I was able to relax and enjoy my delivery....we talked and laughed.  I waited for a long time before getting it so I could walk around and help bring J down enough, I think I was around 8 cm when I got it and they broke my water.  I was in terrible pain and was almost getting panicky and nauseated from it...I just wanted it over with, I didn't want my DH to say anything to me, I was not happy.  Once the epi was in it was  immediate relief and I stopped shaking and my  nausea went away completely.   I was able to focus properly. 

There is nothing wrong with going natural and most moms have an amazing experience with doing that, but there are a lot of epi-mommas that loved their delivery as well.  If you plan on going totally natural do some sort of class to prepare yourself.  Even if you plan to get an epi make sure you prepare yourself for pain, because depending on how long you wait and whether or not the epi will work 100%.  Mine did not work on my right side, especially towards the end of pushing.  Just because you get one doesn't mean you will not have pain.

My advice for moms planning for an epi is to wait it out as long as possible and walk around and rock your hips a lot.  Stay out of the bed as long as possible because it really does help bring your baby down and helps dilate you.  Once you get the epi you are going to be laying down, so take advantage of the time before you get it.  I walked the halls for over 3 hours and made it to 8 cm before getting mine. 
    I wasn't planning on going natural, so getting the epi wasn't a "failure" in my eyes.

Good luck!

• Options
    I recomend the epidural. I was able to enjoy the birthing process more. and I had no trouble pushing him out like some people think. and it did not prolong my labor.
  • Options
    I think I am leaning very much to having an epidural...I've heard that people get really bad headaches after it wears off and I'm pretty worried about that too.
  • Options
    if you get an epidural you lose all control of your labor. you will be tied to the bed on your back (not comfortable or progressive position for labor or pushing), you will have IV's, a catheter. It could slow your labor and force pitocin which doesn't always work out well and could lead to a c section. Along with the headaches, there could be serious blood pressure drops, nausea and vomiting and other side effects from the epi, along with a general feeling like crap for days after.
  • Options
    I had the epidural because my induction was very difficult but I very much had wanted a natural labor.  In my experience, the epidural did not hurt at all, and gave me some relief for a few hours.  The catheter was no big deal, I got no headaches, but I did have nausea, could not move my legs at all, and it stopped working after a while and and they couldn't fix it.  They wouldn't give me a walking epidural.  What I hated was being tied to the bed and having so many monitors and things attached to me, and only being able to labor on my side and mostly push on my back.  It all felt so medical and I had no idea how much I would hate it and how unprepared for it I was.  If you are considering the epidural at all, go to the hospital class so you know all your options and their protocol, I should have done that.  I also highly recommend a separate class for pain management, even if you want the epi.  It may not work completely and you will need some other way to handle the pain.
  • Options
    wow...maybe I'll just wait and see how I'm feeling after being in labor for a few hours. If the pain is manageable then I want to do it naturally...
  • Options
    I went all natural with all three of my girls and even though we are not going to have any more kids I would go med free again in a heartbeat!  =)  My first two DDs were born in the hospital and my 3rd was born at home in my bathtub- not on purpose but she was the easiest delivery!  =)
  • Options

I have 2 kids and with my 1st I had an epi and pitocin. For me the pressure was more uncomfortable than the contractions and the epi did not help with that.  I did not have any side effects nor did my DS from the pitocin or the epi.  I was up and showered w/in 2 hrs after giving birth.  Now with my 2nd  my labor was fast and I did not have time for an epi.  I felt the same after giving birth to my DD as I did when I had the epi.  That said with my next baby I do not plan on getting and epi. BTW it dosen't really matter if you are tied down with an epi b/c when your in active labor you don't really want to get up and go for a stroll anyway :) Don't let anyone talk you into anything it's your body, your baby and your decision!

• Options
    I hate needles didn't even let them give me an IV so there was no way I would have an epi.  It wasn't that bad but I started pushing at 8.5 I didn't want to wait.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options

I plan to go medfree and if you are even considering it, you should read, plan and research. What ever you decide just let it be an informed choice:

Recommended reading:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Pushed

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth - I LOVE this book and gives you the risk vs, benefit of every med/intervention you can think of!

Hypnobithing: The Mongan Method

I would also watch The Business of Being Born documentary. 

It is good that you are thinking about it early. If you decide to go natural, I would have an open and honest conversation with your OB about how supportive they are and I would consider using a doula. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'd plan to go all natural but educate yourself on epis, too.  Then just go with the flow.  It's always good to have *some* pain management techniques down because an epi can always wear off.
  • Options

I started out wanting the epidural asap!  But when I found out that it was a tube in your back and that I would have to get an IV and probably a catheter too, I started considering natural childbirth.

I signed up for Bradley classes (which I have been taking for a couple months now) and I love them!  I have learned so much about birth and the benefits of going naturally and now I have changed my birth plan completely.

I'm planning to give birth at a birth center that does not give epidurals (if I decide I want/need one, I have to go to the hospital less than a mile away).  I'm also planning on a water birth.

I would recommend doing as much research as possible and taking classes.  I had a ton of people who told me get the epidural, but I am so excited about my natural water birth and I hope that it goes well! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"