Infertility
Options

HSG ? - anyone have one w/ shellfish allergy

I'm having one tomorrow and have a severe shellfish allergy. 

I have to take medrol at 1am and then again at 11am before the test

I don't think anything bad is going to happen but just wanted some reassurance :)

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II

Re: HSG ? - anyone have one w/ shellfish allergy

• Options
    I didn't even realize this was an issue, is it the dye?  I hope it goes smoothly tomorrow.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a friend who is not specifically allergic to shellfish but to the dye itself. She couldn't have the test done.
    DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
    IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

the dye comes from shellfish from what i have been told.  original RE decided not to do it b/c we were doing IVF and didn't want to take chance.

i have to have it done for d-iui's

so the medrol is a pretty high dosage - i'm sure it will be fine, they do this all the time and i can't be the only person allergic to shellfish

it's just a little weird

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • Options
    Hi I'm usually just lurking her but I just wanted to say that I also have shellfish allergy and it was fine. It was written on my chart  and they asked me just before the procedure. They used the dye made with a different base.

TTC since 1/2008
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Holy crap my dr never told me or asked me if I had a shellfish allergy before doing the HSG.  I have a severe shellfish allergy and my HSG went fine, no thanks to my doc.  Hopefully your HSG will go as well as mine. :-)

Maybe they used the dye with the different base that the PP mentioned because my allergy is marked several places on my chart even though the doc never asked about it verbally he probably did read it.  Not that I have ever had shellfish so maybe I outgrew the allergy since it has been 20 or so yrs since we found out.  

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yep, me. Well, I have never tried shellfish before (I am a vegetarian) but I did go completely anaphylactic after a CT Scan of my kidneys years ago.

They had me take steroids 2 times before the HSG, and that was it!  No reaction at all, thank God!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I do not have a shelfish allergy, but I have other medicine allegies , so I had to do the same thing before my HSG.

You know my luck... and I was actually A-okay! ;)

Good luck, sweetie.  

• Options
    Worms, my heart hurts that you have a shellfish allergy. Being from southeast Louisiana I can eat my weight in any type of seafood/ shellfish.
  • Options
    Just sending you lots of luck that it all goes smoothly.  
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ditto pp's- I think they can use a different dye- like water based instead of iodine based?  But also the medrol should block any potential allergy.

good luck! 

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Options

I have a shellfish allergy, and I think they used a different dye for me. It was a big issue for them, for some reason, and they were very nervous about it, like I was the ONLY ONE they had ever come across that needed an HSG and was allergic to shellfish. They paraded me around asking every nurse/dr that worked there what to do because I was allergic to shellfish. Some genius asked me if I was SURE I needed the test.

Sorry, to rant, can you tell I was annoyed?

Anyway, I was fine. GOOD LUCK!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do, and all went well. I think they used a different dye. GL!!!
  • Options

I have several food allergies and the doctors were very concerned about me reacting to the iodine in the dye. I took Medrol and was given an injection of Benadryl. They also started an IV just in case. I didn't have any reaction to the dye.

Good luck!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"