Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Popping over from 3rd tri... Birth experiences without epidural please!

Hi ladies :) I am looking for people to share their labor and delivery experiences that did not get an epidural. I am also looking for anyone that was induced and did not get an epidural. Either by your own choice or circumstances. A few weeks ago I spent a week in the hospital after being diagnosed with a huge blood clot in my leg. It reaches from at least my groin to my knee and they expect it to take months before it goes away. They will not do surgery or put in a filter to prevent embolisms until after the baby is born. Currently my treatment is twice daily injections of a blood thinner called Lovenox, compression hose, and modified bedrest. They will look at other options when the baby is born. The point here is that they recommend that I do not have an epidural or a spinal. Moreso they would like to induce me by 39 weeks because if I go into labor on my own they cannot control the blood thinners as easily. One doctor mentioned a c-section, mine says induction. I am freaked out. For one I have been having random contractions and was already dilated to 1 cm at 30 weeks. Two, DS was born on his own (vaginal delivery with epi and no complications) at 38 weeks. I will already be 37 weeks when I see my OB next week. To me a c-section seems like the least risky option as far as a pulmonary embolism is concerned but I have not asked my OB yet. Which is why I am looking for personal experiences! Again I am especially looking for those that were induced and also those that had IV pain meds. TIA, and sorry so long!

Re: Popping over from 3rd tri... Birth experiences without epidural please!

• I just texted my friend who is in 2nd tri with her 2nd child.  She kind of went through this with her first baby.  She should be replying here soon.  Keep checking back. =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Damnit.  Sorry.  She just texted me back and said she knows you from the High Risk Boards and that she is of no help.  She had no actual clots when she had her daughter, just the risk of them.  I was confused because she was on Lovenox while she was PG.  Sorry.

I can tell you that I didn't have an epi when I had DD and it wasn't my choice (I progressed too fast to get one. I'm a weenie when it comes to pain).  I'm not going to lie and say it was pain free because it wasn't.  Was it manageable?  Kind of.  Did it suck?  Yes.  Was it worth it in the end?  ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY.  Do I remember how bad it hurt? Not really. 

You can do it.  Just remember that you will have a beautiful baby in your arms when it is all over with.  I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Good Luck

• My first two children were both delivered vaginally after being induced, and without an epi.  I had IV pain meds...which helped at first, but quickly wore off and the second dose is useless.  I had VERY short labors though, and extremely quick pushing times.  First one was 4 hr labor with 20 min pushing.  Second was 2 hr labor with 11 min pushing. 

I wish I could tell you it was a breeze.  It hurts like hell.  Pitocin is a beast.  But it is survivable.  But I honestly think that my fast labors were my salvation.  

• imagelaurenshay:

Damnit.  Sorry.  She just texted me back and said she knows you from the High Risk Boards and that she is of no help.  She had no actual clots when she had her daughter, just the risk of them.  I was confused because she was on Lovenox while she was PG.  Sorry.

I can tell you that I didn't have an epi when I had DD and it wasn't my choice (I progressed too fast to get one. I'm a weenie when it comes to pain).  I'm not going to lie and say it was pain free because it wasn't.  Was it manageable?  Kind of.  Did it suck?  Yes.  Was it worth it in the end?  ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY.  Do I remember how bad it hurt? Not really. 

You can do it.  Just remember that you will have a beautiful baby in your arms when it is all over with.  I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Good Luck

Thank you! I appreciate the help. I know I can handle pain as I have been through soooo much. I also labored at home for two days with DS and the main reason I got the epi was not because of the pain but the exhaustion. Pain from this clot was much worse than any contraction I felt with DS. I guess I was just so prepared to have an epi that now hearing them say no before I am even in labor is freaking me out. Thank you again! I appreciate it. I got excited hoping there was someone out there that delivered with a blood clot but I guess I am a freak of nature. LMAO. I know they exist I just can't find information!
  • imageBrooke208:
    imagelaurenshay:

Damnit.  Sorry.  She just texted me back and said she knows you from the High Risk Boards and that she is of no help.  She had no actual clots when she had her daughter, just the risk of them.  I was confused because she was on Lovenox while she was PG.  Sorry.

Thank you! I appreciate the help. I know I can handle pain as I have been through soooo much. I also labored at home for two days with DS and the main reason I got the epi was not because of the pain but the exhaustion. Pain from this clot was much worse than any contraction I felt with DS. I guess I was just so prepared to have an epi that now hearing them say no before I am even in labor is freaking me out.

Thank you again! I appreciate it. I got excited hoping there was someone out there that delivered with a blood clot but I guess I am a freak of nature. LMAO. I know they exist I just can't find information!

I think that since you know that you can't have an epi might work to your advantage. 

Page IselaCid tomorrow.  She had two beautiful med free births, but had techniques she used to deal with the pain. 

I never even entertained the idea if haiving to go natural, but if I knew I HAD too, I might look into something like what she did. 

She is an amazing inspiration.  Page her and check out her birth stories.  They are in her blog. 

Good Luck Mama.  You'll do great!

• Hurt like a biitch. However, the labor wasn't that bad. It was when she had to reach her arm up in me because my cervix collapsed that I came unglued and screamed like I never screamed before. That's not that common, I don't think. The actual labor and delivery wasn't that bad.
  • I did not have an epi with either of my children.  Both labors were fast and there wouldn't have been time for one if I had wanted them.  Part of what that means is that I was dilating about 1/2 a cm with each contraction.  It hurt like nothing I've ever felt before, but it ended.  One of the things that really helped me was having a doula.  Also, I read the book Ida Mae's Guide to Childbirth (or something like that.)  It has a lot of vignettes about medication free labors.  It really helped me to think about them while I was in labor and pushing.  (Although the idea of an orgasmic labor is ridiculous to me...)
  • Thank you ladies I appreciate the advice and honesty! I will check again and respond in the morning... I am on an iPod touch and having issues with the internet at the moment.
  • I had no epi at all with my first and third.  I had one with my second but it slipped out of place so it only lasted a very short time.  To me, it was not nearly as bad as I ever would have thought.  All of my labors were pretty short though, longest was 10 hours.  I went into it with my third knowing I was not wanting to get one.  I didn't research any breathing methods or anything like that since I went all natural with one and pretty much with the other.  My third was the most painful of the 3 since I had horrid back labor but I pushed through.  I was in my little zone where I was on my side and my face was pretty much planted in my pillow as I breathed through it.  My contractions were right on top of each other so I had no break in between.  My friend that was there in my husband's place was amazin as was the midwife at the hospital.  The midwife had oils and massaged my back and my friend talked to me.  I actually pushed her out halfway on my side with my legs not in the stirrups.  I was so in my zone I didn't want to move so they let me stay like that.  It was actually a relief to actually be able to push.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"