Parenting after 35

FFS

WTF is this??? Colic??? Someone help me before I go find a tall building to jump off.

Third night in a row, Jace is LOSING HIS EVER LOVING MIND. He's been swaddled, he's been changed, he's been fed, he doesn't have a fever. He just keeps wailing. Then he finally settles down and starts again. I don't know how much more I can handle. This has gone on for three straight hours. My head is splitting.

Today was a pretty nightmarish day for us (effing hormones- all my fault) so we thought we'd uncork a good bottle of wine from our trip to Napa last December. Totally not enjoyable. I couldn't even have a glass. Jace wailed the entire time. I am in tears. What am I doing wrong?

ETA- do I need to break down and try a paci?

Re: FFS

• I am so sorry. I wish I could come over there and make it stop for you.

Here are some quick suggestions:

1. White noise - really loud shushing, a hair dryer, static from a radio, a heartbeat but it has to be loud.

2. A shower - stand in the shower and let warm water beat on his back.

3. Exercise ball - bouncing on one can help if he has gas

4.  A bumpy ride - in a car or stroller go over really big bumps to jostle him.

Be sure to hand him off to your DH as well. When Matt goes on tilt and I can't soothe  him I let DH take him for a while. Most of the time DH can soothe him and if he can't then at least I had a break.

I'll be on line if you need to chat.

• Oh Amy- thanks so much. Tell me more about the ball thing? So I just sit on it and bounce while holding him? I'd stand on my head and gargle with nails if it would help.

Thanks again :)

PS. DH just told me it's not that bad. He has the patience of Job. I, on the other hand, have little to no patience. And I am sorry but any normal person would lose their mind after three straight hours of this BS. GRR.

• Loading the player...
  • I just hold DS and bounce up and down on the ball. DS likes being upright so I just hold him over my shoulder. Usually a really loud burp comes up and he feels better. If no gas then he just likes the bouncing motion.

I was doing the Happiest baby thing - it is called the "mixer" and you are suppsed to jiggle and twist the baby like you are mixing a drink. I found the ball much easier on my arms and did the same thing.

• BTW - I can't imagine three hours of crying. I lose it after just a few minutes. So you do have a lot of patience. You are strong!!!
  • OMG!  you poor thing, we know how you feel!  It's either gas or colic...let's hope it's gas.  Amy has some great points, try the swing also, he'll scream at first but then he'll calm down, if you have the FP Little lamb one, put it on med speed for just a few minutes until ghe calms down, then switch it to low.  Also, the shoulder thing work great, he'll most likely burp after being positioned up and stretched out.  I've also just put him in the car seat and taken him outside for a walk, the noises of nature usually calm him down... or the car ride altogether.  let us know if you have any more questions, we're here for you!
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is going to sound so stupid but how do I know if he has gas? I mean...he toots but don't all babies do that? I really don't know how to tell if it's gas or not? I feel so stupid.
  • imageJenniferTCU:
    This is going to sound so stupid but how do I know if he has gas? I mean...he toots but don't all babies do that? I really don't know how to tell if it's gas or not? I feel so stupid.

First of all, you poor thing! I can't imagine enduring three hours of inexplicable cries.

And you can tell they're gassy if they scrunch their bodies up and pull at their legs. 

• imageM.Amy:
    BTW - I can't imagine three hours of crying. I lose it after just a few minutes. So you do have a lot of patience. You are strong!!!

This. 

Plus everything Amy said. Other stuff that works for Ada:

skin-to-skin in a front carrier

The 5 S's

a walk in the stroller or drive in the car

boob (or a paci or your little finger with nail to tongue) - we had no problems with the paci added into the mix

bath (umbilicus gone?)

Dh reminded me, "that swing is effing money"

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • I know Matt has gas if he burps. I am not sure if there is a way to tell. And if there is then we are both can learn. :) When he is fussy I just go through my bag of tricks (swaddle, shushing, bouncing etc) until something works.

Oh and I check his diaper constantly when he is fussy. There is nothing more frustrating then to have checked his diaper, tried to soothe for 20 minutes, only to find he dirtied his diaper during that time.

• imagestever:

And you can tell they're gassy if they scrunch their bodies up and pull at their legs. 

This, definitely, he'll curl up and look and feel very uncomfortable .. kinda like when we have excrutiating cramps..

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont have any additional ideas for how to soothe him, but want to add he may have reflux. My first son did this for three days at age 3 weeks. I was going out of my mind because my husband was working 12 hours those days also. I brought him to the doctor first thing Monday morning and started him on Zantac. Also changed his formula to the sensitive kind, Gentlease. He was better by the next day.

• imageJenniferTCU:

Jen, I am so sorry you are going through this!  I hope he gets some relief soon! 

I would be looking for a tall building to jump from if Jack didn't have a pacifier.  It helps to soothe him and studies have shown that it help prevent SIDS.  Good for me, good for him.  Why are you opposed to a paci?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJenniferTCU:

When DS was in the hospital they practically forced us to use a pacifier because it strengthened DS's sucking.  We never had any issues with nipple confusion and I was terrified of it.

They gave us the green "Soothies" and even the neo-natal PTs said it was okay to use them. 

• imagebusybea:
    imagestever:

This, definitely, he'll curl up and look and feel very uncomfortable .. kinda like when we have excrutiating cramps..

Yep. Aaron would wail for hours and scrunch his body like that during his first week or so. But Mylicon before every bottle and the formula switch to Enfamil Gentlease turned things around. Though he still has bouts of gas, only it's rare.

You supplement w/ formula, right? If gas, you should ask your Ped re: Mylicon and his formula.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • imagefauxshelley:
    imageJenniferTCU:

Jen, I am so sorry you are going through this!  I hope he gets some relief soon! 

I would be looking for a tall building to jump from if Jack didn't have a pacifier.  It helps to soothe him and studies have shown that it help prevent SIDS.  Good for me, good for him.  Why are you opposed to a paci?

Oh not opposed to it at all. Just haven't had to do it yet so was holding out for fear of him being dependent on it.

Geez- on the gas thing...I still don't freakin' know. I am guessing he's fine. I told DH that it could be gas and he said no because J never has problems releasing the gas. Does that make sense? If not, I'd be happy to hit DH so just let me know. ha

Robyn- we are pretty much all formula feeding now. I try to BF a few times a day (he usually will just *snack* for a minute then want a bottle) but not pumping at all. LC and pedi both told me to give up and I resisted but now, due to the lack of sleep and horrible output, I just can't do it anymore.

• Oh...and the swing. He has to be in the right mood for it. He's there now but last night he wanted nothing to do with it. Bea, we had the FP but returned it due to noise. We went back to the Graco Sweet Peace Soothing Center. He seems to like it (most of the time) and DH likes that you can connect an ipod to it.
  • imagerobynlesley:
    imagebusybea:
    imagestever:

Yep. Aaron would wail for hours and scrunch his body like that during his first week or so. But Mylicon before every bottle and the formula switch to Enfamil Gentlease turned things around. Though he still has bouts of gas, only it's rare.

You supplement w/ formula, right? If gas, you should ask your Ped re: Mylicon and his formula.

YesA gas bubble can be the culprit.  Nate gets extremely cranky when he has one and cry his head off.  I hope everything is ok Jenn.

• Something that helps DD with gas and poo issues is to lay her on her back and bicycle her legs - pedi said hit helps relax the anus and let gas or poo out.  It's worth a try in case it is gas.

Does his crying escalate when you lay him down? That is a clue that DD has gas issues, because she is more comfortable upright.

Does he not like the swaddle? If he likes to move his arms around alot, he may not like them swaddled.  DD's comfort position was to have her hands by her cheeks, so swaddling made her really unhappy.  You can try skipping the swaddle or leaving his arms out.  Also, try swaddling looser or tighter.

Three hours is enough to make any crazy! Hope something helped and you finally got some rest.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • It doesn't sound like gas. My friend from work said it's just "the witching hour" and her LO went through it, too. Ugh. He's sleeping soooo peacefully right now. He looks angelic.

I just returned from Target- Soothies in hand. So excited to try one out tonight.

Thank you ladies (again) for your friendship and wisdom.

• I had a couple days like when DS was around 3 weeks. Are you using formula? I switched from Enfamil Premium to Enfamil Gentlease and that helped a lot. I also switched to Dr Brown's bottles and that was also helpful. LO has a lot less gas now. I think that was the issue that time when he was inconsolable. If you're not using formula, then there are other things you can do too:

Avoid foods that cause gas like caffeine, broccoli, onions, spices, etc

Put LO on a swing or bouncy seat

Put LO across your lap, belly down - this will help w/ gas

Put LO to sleep belly down while you're watching. Again, this helps with gas issues

White noise (vacuum, hair dryer)

Shoosh in his ear (louder than his cry so he hears it)

Swaddle him tightly

Mylicon drops (don't use the 1 oz bottles, there was a recall on those, use 1/2 oz ones)

Pacifier

This might just be a phase and not colic, unless it goes on every week for at least 3 days. Hopefully it will pass soon, it's so frustrating!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • imageNewMrs07:

I had a couple days like when DS was around 3 weeks. Are you using formula? I switched from Enfamil Premium to Enfamil Gentlease and that helped a lot. I also switched to Dr Brown's bottles and that was also helpful. LO has a lot less gas now. I think that was the issue that time when he was inconsolable. If you're not using formula, then there are other things you can do too:

Avoid foods that cause gas like caffeine, broccoli, onions, spices, etc

Put LO on a swing or bouncy seat

Put LO across your lap, belly down - this will help w/ gas

Put LO to sleep belly down while you're watching. Again, this helps with gas issues

White noise (vacuum, hair dryer)

Shoosh in his ear (louder than his cry so he hears it)

Swaddle him tightly

Mylicon drops (don't use the 1 oz bottles, there was a recall on those, use 1/2 oz ones)

Pacifier

This might just be a phase and not colic, unless it goes on every week for at least 3 days. Hopefully it will pass soon, it's so frustrating!

Is the Enfamil Gentlease just as good nutritionally as the Premium? He's getting the Premium now. I mean to ask Robyn this earlier.

• Watch the The Happiest Baby on the Block.  It teaches you to soothe baby.  Watched it last night and DH cant wait to try these tricks.  LIttle G always cries when he holds her.
  • imageMoiselle:
    LIttle G always cries when he holds her.

Poor DH Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"