Parenting

I wish I had potty trained differently

I really wish I had used the 3 day method to PT my DS.  Instead, I followed his lead.  Back in February, he started asking to use the potty each time I changed his diaper (which was a fairly predictable schedule).  Then he started staying dry between diaper changes, so I figured he must be ready if his diapers were dry.  He was often dry during nap too.  So, we switched to underwear.  I still took him to the potty every 2-3 hrs (similar to when he would have gone when I changed his diaper).  After a couple weeks, he started telling me when he needed to go.  But, we're on the go so much and I always made him go before we left the house etc. etc., and he stopped telling me and just relying on me to take him.  He's not bothered by accidents.  I thought he would get better over time, but its really taking a LONG time.  He started wearing undies in March, and he still rarely tells me when he needs to pee (never has a poop accident - thank goodness!).  I know he can do it, cause he occasionally has days where he initiates and does it all perfectly, but the rest of the time, he has lots of leaks, where I notice a small leak on his pants and make him go to the potty.  I'm frustrated and wondering if there's anyway to fix this now, or if I just have to wait it out until he's tired of having wet undies.  I don't think its a control thing, cause I do not get angry about accidents, and I don't force going to the potty unless he's already leaked, in which case he generally goes willingly.  I think he just doesn't mind accidents and can't be bothered to stop playing to go.  Sorry this is so long.  If anyone has suggestions on how to break this habit, I'd love to hear them!

Re: I wish I had potty trained differently

• Evan did that for a long time and eventually just grew out of it.  He still does wait until the last minute quite a bit, but these days it very rarely results in an accident.
  • Doing the 3 day method wouldn't have changed that.  Until he is 100% ready to be 100% trained he won't be despite anything you do or try.

It's the one thing he has total control of and it's really frustrating. 

• Loading the player...
  • My DD is the same way.  She is great most of the time, but when she is excited or sleepy, she will have an accident.  Tonight she had one sitting in a chair in a restaurant because she was super excited to see her friend.  Fun Times!  90% of the time, she is great, but that last 10% needs improvement.  She was 3 in June.  I recently made her stop wearing pull ups in the day because she would use them when it was easier.  She never poops in her pants either.
  • You CAN re-do with the 3 day method.  Just stay at home for 3 days and make him initiate.  Don't take him to the potty on a schedule those days.  Only go if he asks or has an accident.

Have some kind of incentives.

Good luck!

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"