Upstate NY Babies

Piercing ears?

I'm debating when we should pierce DD's ears. Part of me thinks of doing it now while she's a baby so she doesnt remember it and so that she doesn't touch them. Part of me wants to wait until she's old enough to decide for herself. I see the downside in that too-the pain, not taking care of them, etc. My parents got mine done when I was around 5 and I put them through hell-my Mom had to kneel on me and pin me down to clean them-she eventually took them out and let them close. Then I got them re-done when I was older, probably 10 or so. I see the good and bad of both. I think DH wants her to have them done very soon which sort of surprises me. Thoughts?

Re: Piercing ears?

• Well I think 5 is a bad age.  Old enough where you will mess with them but yound enough where you are not responsible yet for them.  I can see how doing them as a baby means the parent will take care of them so they heal nicely.  But we will wait until DD is older.  Probably make a big deal of it - like becoming a young lady.  We will most likely make her wait until she is at least a pre-teen or teenager and then have it be her responsibility and choice.  Both me and my sister were allowed to get ours done when we turned 13.  We were both very excited about it and also took really good care of them.

• I say not until older, 10-11 I think may be a good age.  I will not be doing Brianna's until she is much older.  The thought of her accidently ripping them out while playing, or falling on her ear while learning to walk, or just playing with it and having it fall out in her crib or something.  No thanks.  I think it is safer to wait.
  • Loading the player...
  • Natalie's ears were pierced when she was 3 months old. She's never touched them at all and they were very easy to take care of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had mine done at 8 months old....so I have no problem with babies with earrings.  I totally understand how it would be easier to take care of, etc. 
  • DH and I agreed that Ella will get her ears pierced when she can verbally say that she wants her ears pierced..age 5 being the youngest. I had my ears pierced at 5 and my mom explained to me the whole process and to let her know if I felt any pain afterward, so I don't think 5 is too young bc I remember all of it.
  • i was 6 weeks. my aunt was babysitting me and took me to the mall without asking my parents.  my dad was mad. i got my 2nd hole when iwas 12 or so then let them close and got them done again in college
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"