Working Moms
Options

Where do you find time for exercise?

I seriously need to figure out a way to fit exercise into my week, but I can't figure out how!  We are up at 5:50 AM with the girls, get everyone ready and then off to work for 8AM..by the time I get home in the evening there is barely an hour between the moment I walk through the door and the time they go to bed (6:30AM) then it is time to run the bottle, maybe throw in a load of laundry and get in dinner and before I know it, it is 8PM...and by then I am so tired I just want to veg for an hour before getting everything together for the next day and then shower and bed...

Where do you ladies fit in exercise?  I can get in a half hour walk on lunch some days, but that isn't going to take care of these last 10 pounds or my squishy body!!!!  Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated...and sorry if my post got a little whiny...I just feel like I have no time!

Re: Where do you find time for exercise?

• Options
    Funny you asked this, last night was the first time I truly exercised in about 6 months. I know it is hard but I exercised around 9:40. I work full time so by the time I get ds down and the house picked up I feel exhausted. I just made a decision last night that I am done with carrying this extra 15 pounds so I jumped on my elliptical turned on The Big Bang Theory and did it. When DS was younger I had no energy at all so don't pressure yourself.
  • Options
    I exercise on my lunch break mostly.  I also just started doing some Jillian Michaels worksout On Demand, since they are free.  I am trying to do those during his naps on he weekends.  It's very hard to fit in exercise. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my kids were little, I pretty much only took them out for walks.  Now that they're a bit older, I get on the elliptical or do a DVD after they're in bed at around 8 pm.  I also make a point to get some good workouts in on the weekend.  DH and I kind of switch off with house duties.  A couple nights a week I do the bulk of the work and give him a break and a couple nights a week he does the bulk of it so that I can go work out. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

it's hard and you have double duty with twins and they are still so young.  plus you will continue to lose baby weight.  i wasn't back to my prebaby weight until Carson was 14 months old.  it takes a while so don't pressure yourself.

i exercise after he is in bed.  i still have stuff to do for the next day but i just crave out the time, but it is hard.  can dh help with picking up and maybe preparing for the next day?  or throwing in some wash.  that will all help with your energy level and giving you a moment to catch your breath and maybe get out the door to workout a little earlier.

• Options

I really don't. I have a membership and only got to the gym on Friday mornings after I drop off my nephew at school. It is so hard to find more time than that. Sad

• Options
    I go early in the morning and on my lunch break once a week and DH and I go together on Saturdays (my gym has childcare). If I waited until the end of the day, it wouldn't happen. It can be tough and there are times in life when working out just doesn't easily fit into your schedule. Every little bit helps, like that 30 minute walk at lunchtime or taking the stairs instead of the elevator or even closing the door to your office and doing some crunches or lunges.
  • Options

After DD goes to bed at 8.  I sucks but I feel so much better now that I am doing it. I just started the 30 day Shred. So far so good. I get pretty sweaty and its only 20 minutes.

• Options

I get up 30 minutes early 3 days/week to exercise.  It sucks, but it's the only time during the day that I really have to do it.

I was taking DS on walks in his stroller around the neighborhood every night after dinner, but now that it's getting darker earlier it's not so feasible. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have a gym at our office so I'm able to work out at lunchtime which I love.
  • Options

Before I got pg recently, I would get up 30 minutes early and do a 20 minute DVD and then I have a gym at my office where I work out 30 minutes 4 days a week.  I also squeeze in a morning jog/walk on the weekends while DH is home.  It sounds like your life is already busy, you might want to skip the laundry.  I used to try and do a few loads during the week but its just too much.  Now I start it before my morning jogs on the weekends.

• Options
    imagelucyred:

After DD goes to bed at 8.  I sucks but I feel so much better now that I am doing it. I just started the 30 day Shred. So far so good. I get pretty sweaty and its only 20 minutes.

second this! it's tough, but it's quick and effective. :)

also - we eat dinner with ds at 6. when i'm done with my workout, i still have time for laundry (or other quick household stuff) and a tv show before bed. 

• Options
    Lunchtime.  I do a 30 min work out at the company gym and eat lunch at my desk.  I also have the 30 day shred that I try and do at least once or twice a week on the days I work from home but it doesn't always happen. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    My DH assisting with the kids in the morning is a huge reason how I can now find time.  It took up to now (2 + years) for the kids to sleep late enough in the morning (til about 7 am) which allowed me to wake up at 5 am for exercise about 3 times a week.
  • Options
    I can't find the time... I'm still hoping to! :) I get up at 5:30 a.m. and have a full day at the office. I try to get out with DS for a long walk in the evenings. That's about it. My "goal" is to be able to get up EARLY and exercise while he's still sleeping -- but it's soooooo early and we haven't mastered our evening schedule to start getting to bed at a decent hour. I'm still hoping..... :)
  • Options

I do not do anything now. My plan is to not worry about it until DD is one year old. That is when things seemed to really calm down with DS. After her first birthday I plan on getting up around 5:30 to work out.

Hey, last night I got lots of exercise walking back and forth from her room. It was a long night.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • Options

I am all about lunchtime workouts!  Actually, I work out in the afternoon and work through lunch.  A walk is okay, but if you can run during lunch, a half hour is pretty good.  I can't really manage to get up any earlier (I get up at 6 already) and by the time DS goes to bed at 7:30, I don't usually feel like doing anything, so a lunch workout is the only way for me.  I think the key is making it a habit and not feeling bad about it.  Tons of people take lunch every day (not to mention all the breaks).  I work hard and quickly, so taking a break to do workout does not affect my performance.

I go to a gym during lunch because it's a block away from my office, but if you don't have that option, I would try to run or do a walk/run combo.  If you don't have access to a shower and it bothers you, you could use those wet-wipe cloths (like Dove or something similar).

edited to add:  I didn't start really working out consistently until DS started sleeping through the night at 9 months or so.  Especially with twins, I would cut yourself a break.  There really is not time for everything in the day, and at that point, exercise wasn't my priority.  Of course, I still have at least 10 pounds to lose, so take that for what it's worth.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    we do a family walk from 6-6:30, DS is in bed by 7pm...and I work out (doing the 30-day shred which is 20  minutes) from 7:30-8-ish...then shower and chores with the TV on.  I crash by 10...up at 6pm.
  • Options
    We take DS to daycare in the babyjogger. Either I get a run with him on the way there, or when I pick him up. It helps that our daycare and my job are all within walking distance. I think living in the city helps a bit since at least I get a daily walk in if I want to get to work.Smile
  • Options

I know all too well how you feel. I am exhausted when the day is done too, the last thing I want to do is throw on my sneakers and go for a run. But I have On Demand and I think I HAVE TO turn on Jillian Michaels and have her whip me into shape.

I think the trick is going to be to schedule it in as you do everything else, make it part of your routine. Start off slow, and then work it in to 3 days a week and more if you can do it. We will all feel better :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"