Attachment Parenting
Options

NAPR: What to do for a constipated baby?

This is the first time we're dealing with this.  DD still nurses quite a bit, but her poop has been transitioning from the "peanut butter" poo to more solid poo.  Anything I can do to make her more comfortable?  I'd like to stay away from medacine and supositories and try adding something to (or subtracting something from) her diet first.  Thanks! 

Re: NAPR: What to do for a constipated baby?

• Options

I have used prune and pear juice (1-2 ounces with 2 ounces of water) and just straight water to help Ben go.  He is still at the PB poo stage, but only poops once a week so it's not easy even then. 

If she is getting consistent solid meals I would offer a sippy cup with an ounce or two of water with her meals, that should help soften things up for her!

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefreeburger16:

I have used prune and pear juice (1-2 ounces with 2 ounces of water) and just straight water to help Ben go. 

This.  My Pedi recommends against apple b/c it can constipate even further, sometimes.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Prune juice mixed with half water.  You only need an ounce or two total.  Also slow down on:  squash, pumpkin, avocados, and bananas since they are all binders.  Rice cereal is another culprit, so switch to oatmeal.
  • Options
    i made prune puree for DS once and he had an explosion a few hours later.  that was not the purpose; i was just giving him a new fruit, but we know now to only use that if we need to!!  :)
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our mantra was "A pear a day keeps constipation at bay."  Never got to the point of needing to give her juice.  (Which we preferred, obviously.  Whole fruits are so much healthier.  :)

Have you given pears yet?  They're super easy.  I'd core and steam a few then run them through the food mill.  Once in a while I'd bake them...   Be sure to keep the skin on.

GL!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    Prune puree always worked.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  We're off to the market to buy some pears and prunes!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"