Secondary IF
Options

When to start TTC again?

Hello all!  DH and I have started talking about our next little one but we are so confused as to when to start TTC.  Ideally, I would like for our children to be 2-3 years apart.  It took 14 months to conceive DD.  

I guess my question is did you start TTC by how far apart you would like your children or by how long it took the first time?  

Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: When to start TTC again?

• Options
    We started when we were ready just based on assuming it would happen right away. 
  • Options

there are a lot of factors to consider (age, money, etc.). my main thing is this.. are you ready if you were to get pg now to have another baby? if so, i'd start now - hopefully it won't take another 14 months but you don't know - so as soon as you're ready I'd start!

eta: trying to space the kids a certain amount of time is hard for us infertile Myrtles... (i tried that and it back fired)

I got pregnant with PCOS after many years of IF! Thank you Lord! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    m/c 11/2/09
    *in da bag so far: D90|nikon 18-200|50mm f/1.8|sb700*
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I started actively when my son was 6 mos although I never prevented.  I was worried it would take longer and it did but now I have 3 under 2 Stick out tongue  So I guess in retrospect I might have waited 6 more months but I've no regrets.

That is the thing on this board.  Some of us have quick success (1-2 cycles), others are avg (3-9 cycles) and some are a year or more trying for #2.  

My best advice is talk to your doctor and see what he thinks.  Depending on your diagnoses and treatment pattern you all can make a good plan.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

When you are ready to be pg again, then start trying.  

Unfortunately there is no magic formula to plug in to tell us what will be.  I have a friend who tried for 3 yrs for #1, so she went back when her child was 6 mo. and got pg on the first cycle.

I guess i rather have them sooner and be done with this whole trying to get pg thing! 

• Options
    We started trying when DS was about 1 year old. I didn't anticipate it taking this long to conceive a second time. I wish we had started sooner, given that we're still trying, but I didn't feel prepared for a second baby at the time.
  • Options
    For the trio we tried on our own for years, once we figured out the problem it still took us another 6mo of trying before we got our BFP. We plan to TTC in Dec. and hope it only takes one try this time. If it does work on the 1st try the triplets will be 26mo when the new baby/babies come.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    We ideally wanted a 3 year spacing, but based on how long it took the first time, when baby fever struck last fall we stopped avoiding.  It wasn't serious at first, but it also wasn't working.  So since we are at the one year mark now, I am glad that we didn't wait to match up to our preference for spacing.  So in short we started based on how long it took.  But with Bone Jr being over a year it wouldn't have been two little little ones.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for your replies!  You have really said what DH has been telling me "Don't start trying until you are ready to be PG".  I think we'll wait a few more months.  I'm not too optimistic about my ability to get PG on my own though.  DD is 10 months, I'm not nursing, and I still haven't gotten AF.  That was my problem the last time, she never comes but I never O.  

Thanks again for your advice!  I'll be lurking until we get serious about TTC. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If you know you want more kids don't wait! Take it from me. We waited until our kids would be 2 1/2 years apart and guess what 3 mc later I am still here and now at the least our kids will be 4+ years apart. You never know what will happen. We had not problems getting pregnant or having dd so this is devistating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"