Baby Names
Options

What would you do?

My younger sister (far from being married or pregnant) middle name is Adele. Its a family name, however my other sister has said to her that she should use this for her future girl.....well I am due in 10 weeks and I am leaning towards Adele but feel like I am "name stealing" or something even though she has never said anything to ME about it?

We may have a boy and not a big deal but I dont know if I should say anything to my sister before, or if we do decide to use it just leave it alone until its already done?

My mom says use it!!

Would you feel weird about using your sisters middle name? What do you think?

Thanks!! 

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    My brother and his wife used my middle name for their daughter. I thought it was a compliment. I never intended to use it for my own children anyway. If it has more family history than just the one generation, why not use it?? It's very pretty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You should talk to her about it. Tell her that you want to name your daughter Adele. She'll probably feel honored and loved. But if she reacts poorly to that idea, it might be best to skip it. You don't want to saddle your kid with family drama from day one.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worry that she wont take it well, only because she has always had a very envious, jelous attitude towards me. And right now she is 25 going on 12 so very immature so honestly I just dont know what to do!!
  • Options
    I would not feel strange about using it, especially seeing as it's a family name.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

You should ask her if it's OK with her, because it's HER name. In this case, I don't think the whole "no dibs on names, whoever has a baby first gets to use it" rule applies when you're using the name of a living relative who might not like it.

• Options
    I'd be pissed if you took the name that i said i was going to use since i was a little kid. why would you  do that?
  • Options

O.k. - let me get this straight.

Sister A is young and not even close to having kids.  Sister B tells her that she should use her family name for her future girl.  And you wonder if that means you shoudln't use the name.

Correct?

O.k.- whose to say Sister A will ever have kids at all, and whose to say she'll have a girl?  These are all complete and total "what ifs" right now.

As it's a "family" name, if you want to use it, use it.  What happens if she never has a girl and then never uses the name? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Yeah that would be it...I think I am still scared of my little sister!! I guess I am just going to say something on the lines of its on my name list and see what she says....I dont even see my sister taht much it might be hard to even tell her in face!!

• Options
    But what happens if she freaks out and says you can't use it? Are you REALLY asking for her permission or not? If you are and if you won't use it, then ask. But if you'll use it no matter what, save yourself the drama and just use it
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    No i wouldnt use it, its not THAT important to me. I would like to  but not if she is going to be hurt by it. I dont want to name my child anything that would make a problem!
  • Options
    sounds like you're going to have a talk w/ your sister - good luck!
  • Options

If it were me I would ask her, it is her name and if she wants to use it for her own kids she should have first right of refusal.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    i agree i would ask your sister and hopefully she'll be fine with it.  also wanted to add that i love the name!  it's my DD's name (w/ two l's) and we get tons of compliments.  it's just beautiful IMHO!
  • Options
    I think you should ask her.  But if you are afraid she will freak out say something like " we liked the idea of naming our baby after someone in the family and we thought Adele would be perfect if that's ok with you"  she will probably be more flatered that way
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"