Working Moms
Options

Daycare or Nanny Suggestions PLEASE

Hello all! My husband and I live in WPB, FL and we are having our first child at the end of November. I was a little bummed to find out that I would have to return to work after only 8 weeks (I would prefer to not go back at all:) . We are caught in the great debate between a daycare and nanny...I think we are thinking more alon the lines of a nanny; however, we have no clue where we should start our search. I have heard WAY too many horror stories and watched too many Lifetime movies :) Does anyone have any suggestions??? We just need pointed in the right direction...open to all information!!!! Thanks a bunch!

Elizabeth

Re: Daycare or Nanny Suggestions PLEASE

• Options

It is sort of hard to answer this question because you have some already bad preconceived notions, so I sort of imagine that you'll have a rough go of it no matter what you choose.

I personally chose a nanny until my DS was 16 mo and then he went to day care. I chose a nanny for an infant because I wanted that one-on-one care, I wanted him to sleep in his own crib, lower risk of germs, nanny works even when baby is sick (less days I have to take off work), not having to do the rush-rush of the morning getting DS ready for day care. I transitioned DS into day care when I knew he would benefit from the structure and the other kids.

• Options
    Either choice you make will be tough. It's hard to say what's best for each individual child and family. When I first went back to work we lived in IL. I put her in a center part-time (I worked 8-5, DH worked 12-9) 2 doors down from the office. We moved back to TN when she was 12 weeks and since then she has stayed with my cousin who runs an in-home daycare. I was terribly uncomfortable with the daycare. The fact that it was so close and I knew it was temporary was all that got me through. I just didn't like my baby being one of 8 or 10 (they had appropriate ratios, it was a great center, I just don't like the center environment for infants). If you can afford it, a nanny for those first months would be ideal, in my opinion, but you've got to do what works for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have a nanny and love her. We found her on Craigs List. Make sure you check all references and do a background search - which can be done online inexpensively. Put together a contract as well. You can find examples online too. List out the nanny's responsibilities and prearranged sick/vacation time.

Having a nanny will be so much easier on you. No having to prepare bottles, back their bags, etc. And if your kid is sick you won't have to miss work. Having to go back at 8 weeks is early and I"m sure having her home will make it a much smoother transition for you.  Good luck.

• Options
    If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you a long email I wrote for another friend interested in hiring a nanny.  There is also a copy of the contract we used (taken from other Bumpies and some templates from BabyCenter).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"