Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

unique substitute for a baby dresser

I would like a dresser in our nursery, however, the specific one that goes with our crib is close to $300. I really don't want to pay this much for a dresser. Any suggestions on where to locate a cheap dresser or substitute a traditional dresser for something else??

Re: unique substitute for a baby dresser

• Options
    I bet the cheapest would be used furniture - try maybe craigslist?  The only substitute I can think if is maybe a bookcase or shelving unit, and buy matching totes in your nursery colors to store clothes, etc- I'm sure that would look super cute!
  • Options

craiglist, yard sales and consignment shops are great for pieces that you can refinish if you are into that.

What about an unfinished piece? We have a store near us that sells all unfinished pieces. It is pretty cool.

Also, depending upon your style, you could check out IKEA. We got our dresser/changer there for $99. Can't beat that! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I saw a cute idea in Parents Mag with a painted dresser. Maybe if you find something on craigslist or at a yard sale you could do it. Instead of replace handles that have two holes, they tied grossgrain ribbon in cute bows. Not sure how durable it would be but looked adorable.

• Options

That's our issue we found some great ones on craiglist and we

re going to re stain them or paint them.  

• Options
    I ordered this https://www.lakeside.com/details.asp?I=CYE&R=877026013CYE4&Ntt=%3FCYE&N=36.  I have not received it yet so I can't tell you if I like it.  I plan on getting someone to make me some cute liners for the wicker baskets.
  • Options
    IKEA

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options

I picked up this dresser at a thrift shop for $15.  Before & After

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehomebird:
    IKEA

I second this!  We bought our dresser, which will be used as a changing table too, for $99.  We swapped out the boring knobs for some cuter ones we bought at Lowe's.  If the hubs doesn't mind some assembling, I would def go with Ikea. 

• Options
    Do you live near a larger city with an antique market? We live somewhat near the bay area and Oakland has an antique flea market the first sunday of every month. All the local antique dealers bring their furniture they are wanting to move. I have several really awesome pieces in our home that I got for a fraction of the price that are quality and in perfect condition.
  • Options
    I originally was thinking Ikea, but then I found pretty much that Walmart had the exact same 8 drawer low dresser, just named different. It is free shipping to the store which saves me the 4hr drive to the closest one or pay the shipping costs through Ikea.. also, CSN stores has reasonable pricing and most of the time has free shipping, so that is another idea...  I do love the idea to find a second hand one and re finish it, but I just have too many other things to do between now and then.. (remove wallpaper in our 9walled bedroom, paint our room and then paint the nursery) I still don't want to be doing home improvements once LO gets here!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"