Preemies
Options

**lemen99** (NPR)

i know you're great with photos and i was hoping you could help me out!

my dad wants a dslr for christmas and i have no idea where to start. he's not a photographer by any means, i think he just wants something a step up from his canon powershot 850IS. he had an old school canon (non-digital) and i *think* he can use his old lenses with a new canon. i was thinking the canon rebel xs. any thoughts???

Re: **lemen99** (NPR)

• Options

aw, thank you so much. :) you're a sweetheart!

I have the Canon Rebel XTi.  I LOVE it.  I would recommend any of the Canon Rebels.  I'm not up on my research to know what they changed with the latest models (xs, xsi) but I'm sure whatever fits your budget will be fine.  I'm in love with mine though, and you  might be able to save some money buying a previous model, which will probably serve his needs if he's not looking to go pro. :-)  (Of course, I dont' even know what they upgraded, so you'd want to look into that!)  

If he has canon lenses (I'm guessing unless it's really old that he will be able to use them?) then I would definitely recommend getting Canon.  

Also, when you buy the camera, be sure to buy the "body only" option - - ie: it does not come with a lens.  Typically the stock lenses are not worth the extra opportunity cost they end up charging you.  Save your money - skip the kit lens - and either let him pick out a lens or I highly highly recommend a 50mm f1.8 prime which is <$100.  I have the 50mm f1.4 lens and I use it 99% of the time....If I had to buy it though I would buy the 50mm f1.8 (more bang for the buck) but mine was a gift.

Does that help?

• Options

that's great! thanks SO much! i found the rebel xs for $500 from amazon, but that comes with a lens (i don't remember which one!). i will definitely look for a body only and then get the lens you recommend!

thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    no problem!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"