Adoption
Options

Stepparent adoption

Has anyone been through a stepparent adoption pro se?  My husband's ex has agreed to sign a termination of parental rights and we are hoping that we can complete the paperwork without hiring an attorney.  Please let me know if you can be any help. TIA

Re: Stepparent adoption

• Options
    You have a PM. I am from the Blended Families board.
    ~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
    image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
    image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
    image 20 people are procrastinators!
    RSVP Date: 2/28/2011
  • Options
    I replied.  I just relaized that you are from new hampshire so things may be different ):
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My stepfather adopted me years ago, so I cannot really help other than to offer some advice. I definitely recommend hiring an attorney, if nothing else but to act as a buffer and they will be more familiar with the process.

My case was a bit rough, my biofather would receive the documents and send them back unsigned. 6 years later he finally signed the papers. The story I heard was it took a judge sending 2 sheriff deputies and a court processor to hand him the papers and forced him to sign the documents on the spot. It helped my parents to have the attorney to act as the buffer with the courts and handle the process, so they could focus on our family.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"