Upstate NY Babies
Options

Another maybe dumb food/allergy question..

I thought I read somewhere that strawberries were a no no for babies because they are very allergenic? But I went baby food shopping yesterday and a lot of stuff has strawberries in it.. Why?? I actually did buy strawberry flavored puffs without thinking.. but Eve hates them anyway.. I feel like i'm really limited in the foods I can buy right now because i have not re-tested her with bananas after the "flea-bite" incident.. and EVVVVERYTHING fruit mixed has bananas in it..and if not bananas.. then strawberries!
Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
imagebabies
baby growth

Re: Another maybe dumb food/allergy question..

• Options
    Yup, strawberries are generally a no-no for babies until after they're a year old because they are allergenic.  But I think it's fresh strawberries, not cooked.  Because the ones in baby foods are cooked, it removes the allergens.  I think.
  • Options

imageolivia_eve:
    Yup, strawberries are generally a no-no for babies until after they're a year old because they are allergenic.  But I think it's fresh strawberries, not cooked.  Because the ones in baby foods are cooked, it removes the allergens.  I think.

Yup, olivia-eve has it right.  No strawberries before a year, but it is OK in commercial baby foods because they process the crap out of it and that removes the allergens from strawberries.

There?s nothing like fresh strawberries from the fridge on a warm day.  So what about feeding your baby strawberries?  The information about feeding babies strawberries isvery confusing!  Strawberries are a know allergen.  It is cautioned that babies who may be predisposed to allergies NOT be offered strawberries until 12-36 months of age.  For the non-allergic baby, the introduction of strawberries is still considered ?safe? at 12 months of age! So what about Stage 2 Strawberry commercial jarred baby food?  Well, as the folks at Beechnut state ?high processing temperatures help to kill the strawberry protein that is responsible for causing allergic reactions?[sic]  Our own pediatricians have said that it might not be possible for home cooked strawberries to be heated hgh enough to ?kill? the allergen.  The short of it is that cooked strawberries may be safe for those under 12 months of age while fresh (uncooked) strawberries may not be
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmm.. I still dont' like it!
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

imageMelissaSue81:

Me either.  I did very few jars.  I made my own!!  It really is easy.  Especially this time of year when fresh fruits and veggies are so cheap.

• Options

imageMelissaSue81:

I felt the same way. I really didn't have anything to worry about - Ian hasn't shown allergies to anything - but I was still very paranoid to feed him processed strawberries. I waited until he was almost 14 months before feeding both the processed and fresh to him.

• Options
    I was just thinking this as well.  I wanted to buy yogurt melts but they are strawberry.  So that had me really confused.
  • Options
    I was always paranoid about the strawberries too.  I didn't give her anything with strawberry in it before 1 yr and even now I still fell reluctant to.  I am that crazy paranoid mom that will still be limiting what she eats when she's 20 - haha.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"