Cincinnati Babies
Options

tacky or not tacky

I know there's controversy over whether to register at all for a second baby, especially when they're really close in age, but the topic came up with some friends of mine so I figured I'd pose it to the Bumpies.

Is it tacky to include things for the older kid on the registry? Things like size 5/6 diapers and toys that are obviously not for the new baby (in some cases they're obviously toys for the parents!).

My opinion is that it's pretty tacky. I wouldn't register for a second baby myself, unless I had a big purchase that I wanted to make and wanted the completion coupon.

ETA: I understand why some people do, I think the tackiness lies more in registering for non-baby-related stuff.

Charlie 8.06.08
Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56

Re: tacky or not tacky

• Options

I can't imagine registering for a second baby, except maybe in circumstances where there are several years between children, and the babies have different fathers, etc. Otherwise, yes, I do think it's tacky.

A few people (our parents, etc.) asked to buy something for Kady, and I just told them some things we needed or would like. That worked out fine - I would have felt very odd actually creating a registry.

ETA: Oh, in regards to your other question - yes, I obviously think it is VERY tacky to not only have a registry, but register for things other than what's needed for the new baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

totally tacky.

i don't have a problem registering for 2nd babies...they need stuff too.  but registering for an older child?  ew.

• Options
    Definitely Tacky.  I don't have a problem with registering for a 2nd baby in certain cases, for example my good friend just had her 2nd baby, but there's a 7 year difference between her 1st and 2nd.  She actually didn't want to have a shower or register but we told her too, and had the shower for her because all of her stuff was outdated, plus they were opposite sex!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Its very tacky to add stuff for other children. period.

I do think its perfectly okay to register for a second baby to use the completion coupon or just steer people like grandparents etc in the right direction if they are planning on buying stuff anyhow

• Options
    Tacky!! I think it is very nice to remember the older sibling once the baby arrives. The baby is receiving tons of gifts and is new. The older child may feel left out. Although, Kellen never felt left out and he never expected a gift, but was really excited when he got one. He was also 6 1/2 and knew better.
  • Options
    tacky

Whether or not you register for a 2nd baby varies. But putting things on there that are not actually for that baby? Tacky.
  • Options

I have always thought it was tacky to register for a second baby, but the more I think about it - people get lots of questions about what is wanted and what is needed....so I can see registering and then only telling people that asked or let people find out on their own....my aunt stalked BRU baby registry once she found out I was pregnant because she wanted to get me a cool gift and wanted to know how I was decorating the room.

Along those same lines, I can see putting a couple of gifts on there for the older child for the same reason above (people wanting to get the older child a present and not knowing what to get). I bought my niece who was 19 months old some books and a toy I think when her baby sister was born.

BUT, registering for stuff for the parents is pretty bad!

• Options

Tacky if you actually expect OTHER people to buy the items for you.

Clever if you are planning on buying the items (with registry completion discount) YOURSELF. 

• Options

My cousin was getting married to the father of her 3 children & registered for stuff for the kids, I thought that was a little weird but I did end up buying stuff for the kids & not actually for them.  It was a table & chair set.  However I think the 2nd baby registry is fine but to put things on for the 1st child is tacky.  I created a 2nd registry but never even told anyone about it, it was for my eyes only, I could mark off the things I bought so I knew what I still needed & I wanted the completion coupon.  I actually added some stuff that was on my sisters registry so that I could use the completion coupon on her gift!

Michelle

• Options
    I think if the children are very far in age and you are given a second shower then that is acceptable, but registering just for the heck of it and adding items for older kids is completely tacky and obviously greedy
  • Options
    imageJenRose05:

I do think its perfectly okay to register for a second baby to use the completion coupon or just steer people like grandparents etc in the right direction if they are planning on buying stuff anyhow

My thoughts exactly.  It would be nice for close family for Christmas gifts for example, but definitely not for the older child.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it is tacky to register for things that are for the older child.  We did register for DD but no one knows we have the registry.  Someone from DH's work found it though and bought something off of it.  We did it to steer people in the direction of diapers or girly things if they wanted but no one has asked which is fine with us!  With that said, I have a WII set on it b/c you got entered into a drawing for a free one, LOL, if you put it on there (reminds me that I never took it off).  Anyways, like I said tacky for things for older child but I am fine with someone registering for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on babies b/c you can chose to look it up or not in my opinion!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options
    imageJenRose05:

I totally agree with this.

• Options
    imagetiffany41108:

totally tacky.

i don't have a problem registering for 2nd babies...they need stuff too.  but registering for an older child?  ew.

This!

• Options

tacky! I have a GOOD friend who registered for their 2nd babies (the older child isnt even 3 yet). They have been registry nightmare people starting with their wedding registering for a $700 knife set and mad when someone didnt buy it for them. For her 1st baby her friend had a $900 baby shower for her and since I was a "co host" for the shower expected me to give her $300. Also, they were mad no one bought their crib for them off the registry.

On this 2nd registry they registered for a Wii and video games. I was livid! So, yes, i think it is tacky.

FWIW-I do believe their are instances where a registry for a 2nd baby is warranted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"