High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fasting Blood Sugar Question

I am new to GD and I am having problems with the fasting blood sugar. I have gotten it lower but have yet to be below 90 (this morning it was 97). I know the last snack the night before is supposed to help this, but my question is if my fasting is too high, should I lower or raise my carb intake? I've been a bit under what my nutrionist said to eat so I couild eat more but I could eat less too. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!!

Re: Fasting Blood Sugar Question

• Options

I would just play around with your snack and see how different snacks affect your fasting numbers because everyone is completely different on how their body processes these foods.  I prefer to have my fasting numbers below 90-95, but my OB said as long as they are under 100 then they're fine.  Usually mine hover between the 80s and high 90s....without really any rhyme or reason.  If you try a bunch of different snacks and they continue to be higher than your required cutoff, your doctor may just put you on a medication at bedtime to help your body along....no big deal.

GL!

• Options

how many hours are you fasting?

when i go to sleep at 10 and have a snack right before -i wake up at 5am = my levels are excelent (right at 90).  

When i got to sleep at 10 and have a snack right before -i wake up at 11ish (weekends) = my levels are in the 100's

I have even tested this with taking my levels before work and then 2 hours later (still havent eaten) and they usually are much higher. 

So the amount of hours you fast might matter. 

Also, the doc may need to put you on some meds -i'm taking something at night

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Let's see - last night I would say roughly 8.5 hours from the time I went to bed until I woke up and tested. I have yet to see what a longer or shorter period of sleep does because I am so new to this. I do fine during the day - it's only the fasting reading that is wonky.
  • Options

imageRavenWolf:
    Let's see - last night I would say roughly 8.5 hours from the time I went to bed until I woke up and tested. I have yet to see what a longer or shorter period of sleep does because I am so new to this. I do fine during the day - it's only the fasting reading that is wonky.

Fasting #'s are always the hardest, that's why doctors tend to put GD patients on night pills to control them. 

It takes at least a week for you to realize what you can and cannot eat.. have you gone to a nutritionist yet? your doc should recommend a nutritionist for you so you can go over your food.  

In the mean time, just write down what you ate and how long you slept and you will figure it out one way or another. 

• Options
    I suggest playing around with your snack too... some things may be within your limits but still not work for you. Also I can't sleep in and am on meds for my fasting #'s. But now they are fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"