Houston Babies
Options

Flu Shot versus Flu Mist

So I took DD on Friday to get her flu shot.  They gave me the option of the mist too since she never had breathing problems before.  I elected for the mist thinking it would be less painful.  I think I'm kind of resenting it because now DD has a runny nose that she didn't have before and so she's been grumpy all weekend. 

Have any of ya'll tried the mist with no side effects?  

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image

Re: Flu Shot versus Flu Mist

• Options

According to an NPR story last week, the mist is more effective in children than the shot.

However, a very recent finding shows the opposite in adults - they are surprised. For adults, the most recent finding shows that the shot is, actually, more effective according to the story.

So - for kids the mist is almost 100% effective vs. 70% for the shot in achieving the goal of the vaccine - so maybe the runny nose is a sign it is working?

DS received the shot.

• Options
    Isn't the mist a live virus? Or am I mistaken?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAggieKristin:
    Isn't the mist a live virus? Or am I mistaken?

Yes, it is live.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options
    Alex had the mist last year with no side effects.  
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't recall Kaitlyn or Micaela having any major side affects.  Kaitlyn ran a slight fever (like 99.8 or something) for a day or so, but other than that they were both fine.  We opted for the mist at the recommendation of our pedi since it lasts longer than the shot does and she felt with me being pregnant and both of them being in school that would keep our family healthiest.
    ~*~Jenn~*~
  • Options
    imagelilycat:

According to an NPR story last week, the mist is more effective in children than the shot.

However, a very recent finding shows the opposite in adults - they are surprised. For adults, the most recent finding shows that the shot is, actually, more effective according to the story.

So - for kids the mist is almost 100% effective vs. 70% for the shot in achieving the goal of the vaccine - so maybe the runny nose is a sign it is working?

DS received the shot.

Good to know!

• Options
    My OB told me NOT to get the mist for DD because it's a live virus and it's not a good idea to have a live virus around me since I'm pg. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemissjake:
    My OB told me NOT to get the mist for DD because it's a live virus and it's not a good idea to have a live virus around me since I'm pg. 

ugh....so now I'm freaked out and just called my OB!  They're all out of the flu shot and so she told me to go to a pharmacy in her building to get one, but it may not be perservative free.  I don't think with #1, my flu shot was perservative free since it was free at work to everyone.  She just suggested that I get the shot while I'm still feeling good and healthy, because you can't get it when you're sick. 

• Options

My OB did not have any preference over the mist or the shot.

However, the shots and mist were being administered at church and they would not give me the live vaccine (the mist) while pregnant. There must be some disconnect.

I did not bother worrying about the preservatives just because I was fine last time and did not worry. Maybe that's silly?

The usual loathing of shots made me sad to not be able to take the mist. NPR's story the next Monday or Tuesday made me feel better about my shot. :)

• Options
    My daugther's godmother is a pharmacist at Texas Childrens and she said the preservative one is fine and showed me statistics on it.  She also said that catching an infection from someone that got the mist is .6-2.4% chance (but my only concern is that is just if you're in close contact versus actually sharing a drink or something).  And so then I decided to go to Walgreens yesterday.  hahaha  They wouldn't give me the shot and told me to get the preservative free one and told me what location would have it.  I'm hoping to get the shot today during lunch time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"