Baby Showers
Options

wrenr.......I have a question

I'm curious about the baby showers in Florida.  I don't understand the "charging  you" part.  They charge an admission fee or what?  I emailed my SIL, who happens to live in Orlando, but they've been vacationing so haven't gotten an answer.  I'm really intrigued by this concept and want to know more.  TIA

I live in Michigan and having showers for babies beyond the first is usually not done...except in certain circumstances.  I had one for my 3rd because it had been 17 years between her and her older brother.  Plus, we had moved and I lived in a different city and attended a different church...so all the guests were our new friends (although my mom, sister, and SIL attended).  It was a surprise to me...I thought I was going to a Tupperware party!  lol

Re: wrenr.......I have a question

• Options

Basically, every shower I've ever gone to I've had to pay for. What they do is include a fee and envelope in the invitation. This is for both bridal and baby showers. Usually it will say $xx per person. You're basically paying for your food, but sometimes they charge more to cover decorations and whatever else. The thing is that here in Miami everyone loves to have showers in restaurants but no one can afford it, lol. So they charge all of the guests, usually between $15-$30. I've gotten used to it but I still refuse to do it myself (which my MIL and SIL found really odd). Both my bridal and baby showers were free and they were both held at my mother's house.

As for having multiple showers I think that's a cultural difference. We really see showers as a celebration, not a way of providing financially for people. You get them a gift because you want to say welcome, not because you think they can't afford it. The same for bridal showers, it's to congratulate the bride and wish her a happy marriage. I guess all these differences come about because the majority of Miami is Latin and that gives everything a different twist.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not to but into this thread but this must be a south Florida thing which I find very interesting. I've lived in the Tampa area and do event planning and never knew it was something done on a regular basis. Not a bad thing, just interesting :)

As for a shower for more than your first. I really think it is by area as well. I know some parts of the country find it to be completely tacky, not so much here in Florida. Maybe parts but not in this area anyway. I see it as, if you want to have a second, third, fourth shower, do it! If people don't agree with it, they simply can just decline the invite. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think maybe the way they are thinking is that is more of a fun time (like a bachelorette party) where everyone pays for the limo and their own drinks...plus food if they go out to eat as well. 

We do a lot of showers at restaurants but don't ask the guests to pay for their food OR the decorations (if there are any).  Smaller showers are held either at a home or at a restaurant.  Large showers are usually held at a hall, community center, etc.  Never is there a charge.  Guess I'm glad I don't live in Florida or I'd be broke.  I go to several showers per year because of a large family, lots of friends, coworkers, and church acquaintances. 

The showers I've gone to are not really to celebrate the birth of the baby (since the baby usually hasn't been born yet) but to help set-up the nursery by "showering" the mom-to-be with baby items that are needed.  Once she has those things why would she need them year after year?  I guess that is the reasoning behind the shower only for first-time moms.  We do have "sprinkles" sometimes (given before baby is born and only very close friends are family are invited) or "welcome baby parties" which are given after baby is born.  People are not required to birng a gift but most do.

All food, decorations, etc. are paid for by the people who host the shower.  That is why it is such a nice gesture and actually part or all of the gift from the host(s).  If guests are charged I guess there is no out-of-pocket expense for anyone...except the guests.

• Options

I am a Florida girl and had never heard of this until I moved to South Florida. Recently I received an invite to a co-ed baby shower that was charging $25.00 per person. The shower was being held at a banquet hall and the fee was to cover the cost of the hall, decorations, and food. My hubby and I decided not to attend because we would have to drive over an hour to get there, pay $50 to attend, and then buy a gift! We got a $50 gift card instead and mailed it with a card and our regrets. 

I don't like the concept of having people pay to attend your shower. It is hard enough for some people to buy you a gift, not to mention adding a cover charge! Baby showers are not wedding receptions.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"