Working Moms
Options

More on potty training... :(

Some of you may remember my original post on the 2 year old I am potty training for my in-home childcare.  Here is my OP: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/21961308.aspx

Well, long story short, we worked on it for another week, it went ok, but not great so last Friday I asked for rubber pants to try this week.  They don't work and if he has an accident it still leaks.  So today I asked for pull-ups or diapers until he has a better handle on the PT.  I told his Mom that I would still be willing to take him to the potty if he asked, but it was up to her what she wanted to do at home.  Anyways, I don't want to go into too much detail but she said something about setting a timer to take him to the bathroom every hour and 15 minutes and gradually increasing the time til he is asking himself...

I told her if she wants to bring a timer that is fine, but now that I am thinking about it, that is ALOT of taking him to the potty.  I'm thinking that I don't really want to take him that often, right now it's every hour and a half, the longest is an hour and 45 minutes.  And I write it on his daily report, so she can see that he is going frequently.  I guess it's only like 1 extra time per day, but still... this PT thing is just not working. :(

So would you ask your DCP to do this?  Or do you think it is being a bit unreasonable? 

Re: More on potty training... :(

• Options

When my boys were at the in-home day care the provider actually pushed me to start potty training with them.  She used the timer method which I agree, is very time consuming and I wasn't able to follow at home.

Do you have any assistants or are you alone?  My provider had two assistants so perhaps they had more time for this?

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    The mom is being unreasonable.  He is only 2 and it doesn't sound like he is ready... if she wants this much one on one bathroom sitting time, then she should stay home and do it herself.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I do not have assistants.  On Mondays and Tuesdays I only have 5 children and then the rest of the time I only have 3.

I feel like I don't really spend that much time with him in the bathroom, it's just the constant stopping what we are doing to go.  And I feel like it is not what is best for him, because then he has to stop what he is doing.

I've read up on PT and we have very different philosophies.  His Mom said today that it's not IF the child is ready, it is all about TRAINING them to do what you want.  I do not agree.  However, I started this childcare on the principal that I will care for the child in the manner in which the parents want them cared for, as long as it is not harmful to the child.  So... I am trying to appease, within reason...

• Options
    I think it is unreasonable for that frequency.  Every 30 minutes at most.  But every 15?  That's just not a reasonable request when you have to watch other children.  That basically equates to asking you to ignore the others for a large chunk of the day.  I would simply tell her you have re-evaluated how long it takes to get him to the potty and given the needs of the other children in your care, believe you can only take him every X minutes and if that is not enough, perhaps give potty training a rest until a bit older and trying again.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    It's every HOUR and 15 minutes.  Was that what you were thinking, Pesky?  I still feel like that's alot, not as much as every 15, but alot... :(
  • Options

I hate potty training.

I think that's a lot for you to do while caring for other children. At DD's daycare they go every 2 hours on a schedule and more often if the child asks to go. We also were asked to send her in a diaper (or the pull ups with removable sides) until she was really doing well at daycare.

I think it's normal to expect occasional accidents. If he's having multiple accidents per day, he's not ready.

I completely disagree with her on her potty training philosophy.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"