Minnesota Babies
Options

drop side crib vs. convertible

Hello,

My husband and I found a great deal on a drop side crib a couple months ago that is still sitting in the box. I've been doing a little research lately and am wondering if I should return it for a convertible crib. Are the drop side cribs safe?

Photo taken at 16 months old
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: drop side crib vs. convertible

• Options
    what brand is the drop side one? I think they are safe
  • Options
    I vaguely recall some article or post somewhere that said they were thinking of not allowing the dropside cribs to be made anymore???  Something about the safety.  It is something I would research if your worried about it.  Sorry I can't remember specifics. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekatieln:
    I vaguely recall some article or post somewhere that said they were thinking of not allowing the dropside cribs to be made anymore???  Something about the safety.  It is something I would research if your worried about it.  Sorry I can't remember specifics. 

Yes- I read this too. I belive in the article the manufacturers were actually wanting the drop side cribs to be outlawed.

The crib we have is the Graco Lauren. It has mixed reviews. Some people have had trouble with the dropside and late this summer Graco came out with the same crib and have replaced the older dropside version without the dropside. I now realize this is why we got the crib for half the price- because it was the old version with a drop side.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would maybe just not use that feature. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love my dropside. I'm seriously sad they are not making them any more because I was hoping to get the same crib for #3 since they'll be sharing a room and DD will not be ready for the toddler bed.

I am short and for the longest time DD would nurse to sleep and need to be laid gingerly in her crib as not to wake. There is no way I would have been able to do that without the dropside. I check it obsessively after laying her down before leaving the room, but have never been worried about the safety of the manufacturing (only the user error of not securing it after having the side dropped.) Honestly I think there are a lot of recalled products due to user error, not manufacturing. If people would just take their time and read the directions and use things correctly they could prevent a lot of the problems they encounter.

• Options
    I don't see a problem with them.  DD has a convertible but the side folds down.  We never fold it down since she stand to get her out and she goes to sleep herself...so if we had a drop side we wouldn't use it.
  • Options

we have a drop side that is also convertible!!   totally scored and got both options 3 years ago at bru.    our drop side has never given us an issue-partly cuz we put it together the proper way :)   (operator error i feel causes many accidents and people just don't want to admit that)

anyway we love our crib!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"