Pregnant after 35
Options

OB/GYN vs. NMW service

Switching practices due to a change in hospital preference...so the hospital has the option of me going into the rotation of either OB/GYN physicians or certified nurse mid-wives. Despite talking to the office manager, I have NO idea which is right for me. Either way it is a rotation through the practitioners...either MD's or NMW. 

This is my first. I'm due in late March and healthier than many of the expectant mothers I know (AMA at 35 ha ha...runner, in shape, etc.)

Any input on which way to go? 

Re: OB/GYN vs. NMW service

• Options

I went with a midwife and was extremely satisfied with my care. She spent the time with me to answer my concerns and my office visits with her were not rushed. Her approach to my pregnancy was very relaxed, in fact, she never referred to me as AMA. 

I wanted to see a midwife because I believe their whole approach to pregnancy is different. They don't see it as much a medical problem, which I find some OB/GYNs can tend to do. Also, I always feel nurses are the ones who give the best care anyway, so why not go with someone with a nursing degree and continued education in childbirth? 

This was my first pregnancy also. Good luck! 

• Options

I've chosen a midwife. If for anything b/c they tend to listen better, listen to a birth plan and keep an open mind about what the patient wants.

You can always start with the NMW and if you don't think it's for you, you can switch. The good thing about the mw is that if something happens that they can't answer or deal with, they will send you to someone who can. They aren't going to pretend they know how to deal with something. ie, if you end up w/ high bp or some type of high risk issue.

good luck. I definitely recommend starting with the midwife. ?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

With my first (at 39) I went with a Midwife.  Now, with my second (at 43) I'm going w/the same midwife practice.  My practice, however, is a combination of midwives/OB/GYNs so in the event of any 'issue', they will refer me to the doctors.  I find a certain comfort level in that - even though I've never had to be switched over to the doctors, it's nice to know there's a plan in case I do!  I have, however, met almost everyone in the practice by now.  Also, in the hospital they always have a midwife AND doctor on call.  I really like knowing I wouldn't have to switch practices in case I need to see an OB/GYN instead of a midwife.

I find the midwives to be more attentive and comforting, in a way.  Spending a bit more time, maybe giving the impression of listening more.  I feel more like an individual person, not just another patient.

Good luck, and congratulations!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I'm high risk, so I really needed to go with a perinatologist.  I love my doctor, but if it would have been practical for me to go with a midwife I definitely would have.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

The arrangement at my practice is perhaps slightly different, but I go to most of my appts with a MW. However, with my last pregnancy, once it became clear that the baby was quite large, which made them want to keep a closer eye on his growth, she handed me over to the MDs within the practice. (This was with about a month left in my pregnancy, give or take.)

I think MWs are great, and they'd always act in your best interest, meaning that if for any reason you needed more expertise in a particular area, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to refer you to the right person.

Good luck deciding

• Options

Thanks ladies. Based on my good health and low risk profile, and the time it seemed that the NMW's could spend with me, I decided to go with the mid-wife service. 

First appointment in two weeks, and if anything is a challenge, I can always go over to the MD service.

Thanks for all of the input! You gave me a lot to think about!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"