3rd Trimester
Options

What did you eat before your 1 hr glucose test?

So tomorrow I have my1 hour glucose test and I am trying so hard not to fail. I have heard all different things though. My one friend says fast 7 hours before. My other friend says eat a healthy breakfast (my appt is at 11:30). My doctor said eat, but just not a lot of sugar. Whats best? I am totally willing to starve myself until after if it means passing. Thanks for the advice :)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What did you eat before your 1 hr glucose test?

• Options
    I had a peanut butter sandwich.  It sounded good at the time.
  • Options
    Nothing it throws off the test. Thats what the lab said. I have heard ppl eat protein only but they say even for the one hr to eat nothing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You need to do what your dr said-eat before the test! Some dr's say to fast..so those people fast!

Eating or not eating has nothing to do with GD...you either have it or you don't! no way to "trick" the test! GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What's the question? Listen to your doctor.

That said, my doctor's office told me no food or water past midnight. This was strange since I wasn't given the same instructions last time with the same doctor. I had some water and a small handful of cereal to keep from falling down but luckily my appt was at 9am. I walked through the door with an iced latte ready to go the minute I had my blood draw.

• Options
    I had mine first thing in the morning and I didn't eat.
  • Options
    My normal bowl of cereal and milk.  Eat what you would normally eat.  You can't "trick" the test.  Besides, it's not something to fool around with.  GD could be harmful to you and your little one if ignored.
  • Options

You either have it...or you don't.  It's not a quiz...there is no way you can prevent yourself from failing.  MY GD test instructions said don't eat anything with a high sugar content before drinking the juice, and don't eat or drink anything after drinking the juice. 

• Options
    I ate a cake.
    ~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much ! I think I'll be waiting to eat until after in the AM.. Besides a glass of milk or something! Gotta give the baby Calcium :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I just had my glucose test on Tuesday. I had a bowl of Cheerios with a banana and was still starving by the time I got to work at 8:30 so I ate a small applesauce (no sugar added)). I wanted to make sure I would pass and I was paranoid about having too much sugar. I had to start drinking at 10 and had labs at 11 and I passed. I wasn't told the number result of my test but she said it was low and I passed no problem.

GL!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have mine next week and my doctor won't let me eat anything after midnight before.
  • Options

I had no idea they were doing my GD test at that appt, so when I went in, I'd had a bagel and cream cheese.  My perinatologist said it is fine that I wasn't fasting and that you should eat what you normally eat.

You can't trick the test.  I passed w/ a carb-filled breakfast.  You either have GD or you don't and there's no way of testing negative if you have it.

GL!

• Options

Are you effing kidding me? You would rather try and "trick" the test to pass, when your LO could be in serious danger due to GD that goes undiagnosed? And all you would need to do is change your diet? What is wrong with you?

Do what your Dr told you - some tell you to eat some don't. They all measure the numbers differently, based on WHAT THEY TOLD YOU TO DO.

• Options

My 1 hour they told me not to do anything different.

I had a bojangles steak biscuit and a water. And I failed :(

My 3 hour they told me to fast after midnight.

• Options

I didn't eat anything.. and my results just came back and I passed!!!!

• Options
    i had a buttered bagel and a chocolate donut and passed...
  • Options

This was me before the test:

• Options

imageAngelMell05:
    Thanks so much ! I think I'll be waiting to eat until after in the AM.. Besides a glass of milk or something! Gotta give the baby Calcium :)

Milk has a lot of sugar in it. Just sayin'.  

• Options
    Sazzie, as excited as we all are for you to have your baby...we're going to miss gems like that! Please come back and throw some here and there when you can!
  • Options
    I had a croissant and a sugar free latte I think...it was about 1.5 hours before.  I asked if it was too much sugar and they said it would be fine.  I passed.
  • Options

I was told to eat something low in carbs and sugar. As to not throw the test off. High in protein is good.

Eggs would of been good but I don't like them, So I had 2 pieces of bacon and some cottage cheese.

• Options
    A peanut butter english muffin, granola bar and a small glass of pop (I *need* caffeine).  My doc's office doesn't require any special prep for the test - I was told to eat what I would normally eat. 
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

imageJenn.J.:
    Sazzie, as excited as we all are for you to have your baby...we're going to miss gems like that! Please come back and throw some here and there when you can!

OF COURSE. 0-6 is the most boring place known to man, so I will definitely be lurking around giving PIPs to deserving customers on 3rd tri.

• Options

Like PPs have said, just follow your docs instructions.  

But, if you are ok to eat and don't have to fast, just eat close to what you normally would eat any given day.  You need to do that to be fair.  Yes- if you have it, you can not trick it.  

I have a coworker who 'cheated' only because she gave part of her drink to her DS!!!!  I was appalled she would do that- she is a nurse, too.  At my lab- they watch you drink the whole thing, and then you get strict instructions not to walk around, etc.  

Our 1 hrs are non fasting, and the 3 hours is fasting.  But each doc office and lab has different protocol- just follow thier guidelines. 

• Options

I <3 Jenn and Sazzie...

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't. When I was pregnant with Layla, my then Dr told me to fast. ?This time, my new Dr said 2 hour fast.. so I just went in the morning and didn't eat.?
  • Options

imagemeghann0409:
    I ate a cake.

Very nice. Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBakerMommy:

imagemeghann0409:
    I ate a cake.

Very nice. Wink

It was good too dammit. I'd be the one eating everything in sight as the last supper in case I was GD, not trying to trick the test.

An analogy for you: trying to trick the GD test is like trying to trick a pregnancy test... Good luck with that!!

• Options

imagemeghann0409:
    I ate a cake.

Me too... and I passed.

• Options

My dr. told me to fast, but if I had to eat something to try to skip the sugars and carbs.  I ended up having a slice of cheddar cheese.

• Options
    imageJenn.J.:

Are you effing kidding me? You would rather try and "trick" the test to pass, when your LO could be in serious danger due to GD that goes undiagnosed? And all you would need to do is change your diet? What is wrong with you?

Do what your Dr told you - some tell you to eat some don't. They all measure the numbers differently, based on WHAT THEY TOLD YOU TO DO.

this. you can't trick the test.  follow the instructions as you were told by your doctor.

DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagesazzie:

Haha!

• Options

I ate a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from mcdonalds. I took half the biscuit off since biscits have sugar in them. i was really paranoid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wasn't allowed to eat 3 hours before, and since my appt was at 8:40 in the morning, I didn't eat after the night before.  

• Options
    I totally forgot about carbs and had a big bowl of shreaded wheat.  If you have gestational diabetes it doesn't matter what you eat you will still fail.  I passed the test despite eating something that should have made my levels higher. I wouldn't worry so much about passing the "test." You want to be healthy for your little one and if it means changing your diet because of GD then so be it. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was told not to fast, but I did anyway, thinking I would come out with a lower number that way--the joke was on me! I still failed it and am taking the 3 hour GTT tomorrow! Definitely do what the doc tells you to do--it is only to help you have a healthy baby. You cannot trick this test by changing eating habits for a day or even a week. I'm accepting that if I fail tomorrow, I can follow a better diabetic diet because it's all for my baby--I can do anything for the remaining 12 weeks to make a healthy baby!
  • Options

I know people say you can't change the results of the test but I beg to differ. Apperently different doctors give different instructions, so some people eat up until the time of the test while others don't eat for 2 hrs before, etc therefore a lot of people get skewed results.

I ate a bowl of granola cereal and 2 eggo waffles an hour before the test and I failed. Meanwhile with the 3 hr test (the fasting one) I passed with flying colours. I would eat a balanced breakfast with some carbs and protein. Def don't overdo the sugar or carbs. I'm no expert but I swear my sugery breakfast did me in with the 1 hr test.

• Options
    imagesazzie:

Haha, ditto! Seriously, I was throwing back the M&M's like there was no tomorrow. Of course that probably explains why I failed the test by like one point (and later passed the 3 hour). But those were darn good M&Ms!

• Options
    I had a piece of wheat toast with butter and a big glass of water. I passed! Not sure if it matters, unless you were to eat a candy bar or something, lol!
  • Options
    My Dr. recommended high protein, low carb/sugar breakfast. I had scrambled eggs with a glass of water. I wouldn't eat anything too sugary because the drink is VERY sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"