Pittsburgh Babies
Options

West Penn?

Hi, has any delivered at West Penn? I wanted to delivered at Magee, but my doctor is now at West Penn. I do not know anyone who has delivered there and was wondering how peoples experiences were.

Thanks

Jessie

Re: West Penn?

• Options

Hi Jessie,

I haven't attended any births at West Penn but I can tell you that I haven't talked to very many people who have had good experiences there.  The post at the very bottom of this board asking where people are delivering has a couple of positive reviews of West Penn and at least one negative.  All of the hospitals in this area tend to very much medically maage birth and are have very high intervention rates.  Depending on what type of experience you are looking for you may want to also check into midwifery care in the area.

Amy

• Options
    FWIW - I love West Penn. I delivered my son at AGH and will be delivering my daughter at West Penn (since AGH is moving their inpatient OB to West Penn) in a few short months. Many friends of mine have chosen to deliver at West Penn over other hospitals because of the personalized care (2 of those friends are NICU nurses and 2 are pediatricians). Just my 2 cents!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedoula_amy:

Hi Jessie,

I haven't attended any births at West Penn but I can tell you that I haven't talked to very many people who have had good experiences there.  The post at the very bottom of this board asking where people are delivering has a couple of positive reviews of West Penn and at least one negative.  All of the hospitals in this area tend to very much medically maage birth and are have very high intervention rates.  Depending on what type of experience you are looking for you may want to also check into midwifery care in the area.

Amy

Since you dont have first hand knowledge, perhaps you shouldnt weigh in. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • Options
    Wow exactly what did I do to you?  You keep posting after me and talking like I am giving ill advice.  I am telling people the truth.  I have talked to lots of people who have delivered there and have honestly not talked to one who had a good experience.  I also have talked to people who have visited people there and they have told me there was old dried blood on the floor.  Kind of gross if you ask me.  Not sure what I've done to you but I am genuinely interested in trying help other women make educated choices about their care.
  • Options

No way would I EVER deliver there! Not that DH would allow it after what we saw and have heard!

1st time visiting a cousin, 24 hours after birth - dried blood on the floor, needle caps all over the place, a nurse even kicked one in from the HALLWAY! bloody sheets and towels from the night before left in the room where the supplies were kept! (she is using magee the next time, even if she has to switch providers)

2nd time w/ a different cousin - (didn't go see her due to an ice storm but here's what she said) No one EVER came in to clean up. they mopped the floor w/ some towels after the birth, and that was all they ever saw of cleaning staff for the next 48 hours. (She's done having babies she thinks, but said you couldn't PAY her to deliver there ever again)

3rd time w/ a girlfriend - she loved it, but she had a c-section, so was in an OR for giving birth and a nice clean pp room afterwards, but she also doesn't remember anyone cleaning the entire 72 hours she was there. (She'll have another section, so will have no problem w/ West Penn)

I delivered at Magee, had a fabulous experience and saw a cleaning crew every morning, while they didn't wash my floor every morning, they emptied the trash and asked if the floor needed it (AKA has anything spilled) We also didn't stay in the LDR's for the whole time.

• Options
    I just delivered at West Penn on 9-24-2009, I loved it. the nurse nelli if you get her is the greatest. the nurse in the nursery after the delivery were also amazing.. Go for it, i think they are more tentive then magee. My friend delivered at magee and they made her suffer 56 hours of delivery, with a inducement are you kidding me.. I was induced at 930 am and My little one arrived at 1:22am.
  • Options

Jessie,

I delivered my daughter at West Penn in April and loved our experience there. They did a major remodel of the Labor and Delivery area last year and the new rooms are great. I was impressed with the staff and the amenities and would recommend delivering there to anyone.

Brandy

• Options
    I delivered there in Feb. and loved it...wouldn't go anywhere else in the Pittsburgh area IMO.  The staff was great, and I found my care to be excellent.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My ob/gyn is through WPAHS and is fanatstic, so I will obviously be delivering at West Penn.  He has been my ob/gyn for 8 years and I couldn't imagine going to anyone else.

Maybe you should consider taking one of the free tours that they offer to see if it is a good fit...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I also delivered at West Penn. In fact, I stayed there on bedrest for 2 weeks before I delivered prematurely.  The staff and rooms were wonderful.  I am glad my OB delivered there - they also have an excellent NICU.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Whenever I tell anyone that I'm delivering at West Penn, I've only heard good things in response.  This is my first baby, so I have nothing to compare to, but all of the feedback I have heard about West Penn has been stellar.  I feel very comfortable and am not worried at all.  Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"