Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

stupid middle of the night decision

So I woke up with an awful stomach ache, went to the bathroom, and took a sip of Pepto Bismol.

FVCK! What a stupid stupid decision!! I didn't even think about it until after I layed back down in bed that I shouldn't take it while nursing.

So since it is 3:45am and I'm obviously not nursing dd now and the Dr.'s office isn't open yet, how long should I wait before nursing dd? 4hrs? 8hrs? I can't find anything online about how long to wait after taking it.

Also, should I pump & dump or will the bm in my bewbies at the moment filter out the pepto bismol by the time I feed dd again?

TIA!!

Re: stupid middle of the night decision

• Options

Whoa....slow down.

Check kellymom.com (https://kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html#Diarrhea ) If I read this correctly, it looks like Pepto is a very, very low risk med while breastfeeding. You're fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    im not sure but i would post this on the breastfeeding board and the gals there will most likely have the answer for ya.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemollymurphy:

Whoa....slow down.

Check kellymom.com (https://kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html#Diarrhea ) If I read this correctly, it looks like Pepto is a very, very low risk med while breastfeeding. You're fine.

I saw that as well and then there is an additional link about pepto bismol saying not to take it because of reyes syndrome. which i knew about and forgot in my middle of the night upset stomach haze.

• Options

imageamramirez:
    im not sure but i would post this on the breastfeeding board and the gals there will most likely have the answer for ya.

I tried doing a xp and it wouldn't let me even when I slightly changed it. Stupid bump!

• Options
    I doubt a sip is going to cause Reyes syndrome in your LO.  If it makes you feel better you can pump and dump, or you can ask your pharmacist and ask about Pepto and nursing.  I am sure there has got to be a 24hr place somewhere.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    image*blondie*:
    imagemollymurphy:

Whoa....slow down.

I saw that as well and then there is an additional link about pepto bismol saying not to take it because of reyes syndrome. which i knew about and forgot in my middle of the night upset stomach haze.

I understand what you're saying: there's no medication that will ever be 100% free of risk, but Reye's syndrome has only been associated w/the salicylate in asprin, not with bismuth subsalicylate. From what I've read, it sounds like the risk of Reye's syndrome from the bismuth in Pepto is more theoretical than practical...unless I'm missing something. Sucky that this is happening in the middle of the night for you! :(  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemollymurphy:
    image*blondie*:
    imagemollymurphy:

Whoa....slow down.

I understand what you're saying: there's no medication that will ever be 100% free of risk, but Reye's syndrome has only been associated w/the salicylate in asprin, not with bismuth subsalicylate. From what I've read, it sounds like the risk of Reye's syndrome from the bismuth in Pepto is more theoretical than practical...unless I'm missing something. Sucky that this is happening in the middle of the night for you! :(  

I took out 4oz from the freezer to give dd at her next feeding (which is normally between 7-8am, but ya never know) and I'm going to pump now and then after she wakes and has the bottle.

I'm sure I'm taking more precautions than necessary but that's ok.

• Options

imagepatrickandkim:
    I doubt a sip is going to cause Reyes syndrome in your LO.  If it makes you feel better you can pump and dump, or you can ask your pharmacist and ask about Pepto and nursing.  I am sure there has got to be a 24hr place somewhere.

I called the Healthy Pregnancy 24hr nurse line that is associated with my health insurance (they help with newborn stuff as well) and the Nurse said just to wait 4 hrs and that should be more than enough.

I'll follow up with the pedi's office in the morning since dd has an appt.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"