3rd Trimester
Options

Installing car seat in a Honda Civic?

Has anyone done this? ?If so, did you use the LATCH system in the middle seat? ?That's what we did (the car & car seat manual didn't say we couldn't) because it seemed safer than being in one of the outer seats. ?BUT, I read online on a couple websites that you're not supposed to use the LATCH system in the middle seat....just the belt. ?Anyone know?

Thanks!?

Re: Installing car seat in a Honda Civic?

• Options
    I have a Honda Civic and this is what I was planning on doing.  If the car manual doesn't indicate you can't, I'm not sure what would be wrong with this.  I'll be keeping an eye on this post though, in case anyone has different info...
  • Options

imageangie05161:
    I have a Honda Civic and this is what I was planning on doing.? If the car manual doesn't indicate you can't, I'm not sure what would be wrong with this.? I'll be keeping an eye on this post though, in case anyone has different info...

?My thought exactly. ?According to a couple websites I read, the LATCH system is only for the two side seats, not the middle (even though it seems to work to use the 2 inner latches for the middle, if that makes sense). ?But like I said, neither the car manual or the car seat manual say you can't. ??

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know the answer for sure but here's what I do know. Our car seat tech said that most vehicles don't have LATCH in the middle. She said that she knew the newer Impala's did because they have a wider back seat - so I would maybe guess that since a Civic is smaller it won't have LATCH in the middle.

Look for 6 hooks. If it has 6 then it does have LATCH for the middle. If not, I wouldn't use them.

A lot of people try and install the car seat in the middle "borrowing" the two outside hooks from each side.

I just googled it and found someone who said this: "If the manual doesn't specifically say you can borrow them, you cannot." 

ETA: Seatbelt install is just as safe as LATCH. If you are questioning the LATCH go with seatbelt. Correct seatbelt install is definitely safer than possibly incorrect LATCH. 

• Options
    Yes!  The fire man did ours with my DH and he said the safe way would be to put the car seat in the middle so if the car gets hit the baby is safe!  He used the seat belt!  Works great now.
  • Options
    We have a Mazda 6 and can't use LATCH in the middle. We used the seat belt instead. As long as it is installed correctly, the seat belt is just as safe as LATCH.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a Honda Civic and we cannot use the LATCH system in the middle seat.  DH installed it that way, we brought it to the fire station for inspection and they said that for the middle position, you need to use the seat belt, so that's what we did. The LATCH should be for the side seats only.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you think it matters what year Civic you have?  I have an '07 and DH claims there is a LATCH "symbol" above the middle seat.  I haven't looked into this in depth, but I'm wondering if this may still work in our car.  I'm definitely still planning on getting it inspected, but I'm just thinking it may not be an "all inclusive" statement for every Civic.  I would really rather the LATCH system since it's easier than using a seat belt.
  • Options
    You can check with your local police department.  They usually will do a free inspection for you to make sure the seat is in properly. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I dont have a civic but I am positive that the thing that makes a difference is how far apart the latches are.  The FD confirmed that as well.  I have a scion tc (the small car not the box, people tend to get confused) and since my back seat is small the inner latches are close enough together to use the seat in the middle.  DH has a Mazda 6 and his latches are about 3 inches too far apart to use.  Your car seat manual should tell you the magic distance.  We have a graco snugride and I found that in our manual.  The distance between my 2 inner latches was an inch under whatever it required.  I hope that makes sense.  Always have it inspected though.

ETA: one thing that would overrule the distance between latches would be if you car's manual said not to use the latch system in the middle no matter what.  Apparently some will say this, though I havent seen it.  My car's manual said to check the max distance between latches in the carseat manual to see if it was ok to use in the middle.  The car manual even told me the exact distance between the car's inner latches for this purpose. 

• Options
    It might depend on the year. My Civic is an '05, so it's the older looking model and might be designed differently in terms of LATCH stuff.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What DH and I learned from the California Highway Patrol in our childbirth class and from the local police when we went in for an inspection:

I believe by '02 all cars are to provide latches so you should have the latches for the middle and side seats.  The recommended location to place a car seat is the middle NO MATTER WHAT.  If for some reason you cannot put it in the middle the next best location is behind the passenger seat.  When putting the carseat base in the middle you can use either the seatbelt or latch, doesn't matter.  Latch is just preferred because it's easy to do vs. using a seatbelt.  When installed the carseat should only be able to move side to side no farther than an inch.  The front should be able to life up because in a crash that flexibility allows it to absorb any shock.  HTH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This was a question that I had too because I have a 2009 civic and just assuemed it has LATCH in the middle. I used to think the tether thing on the top by the window indicated if it has latch so that could be what PP's husband was reffering to.

So now Civic's do NOT have LATCH in the middle and it is not safe to "borrow" because they are different width's apart. Here is a response I got when I asked which way was safer LATCH on the side or belt in the middle. https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=97122 

Hope this helps. This message board is very helpful for car seat related questions but always have it checked with a certified inspector.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options
    imageLucky_N_Love:

This was a question that I had too because I have a 2009 civic and just assuemed it has LATCH in the middle. I used to think the tether thing on the top by the window indicated if it has latch so that could be what PP's husband was reffering to.

So now Civic's do NOT have LATCH in the middle and it is not safe to "borrow" because they are different width's apart. Here is a response I got when I asked which way was safer LATCH on the side or belt in the middle. https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=97122 

Hope this helps. This message board is very helpful for car seat related questions but always have it checked with a certified inspector.

agreed. completely.

• Options
    imagedragon_chica:

What DH and I learned from the California Highway Patrol in our childbirth class and from the local police when we went in for an inspection:

I believe by '02 all cars are to provide latches so you should have the latches for the middle and side seats.  The recommended location to place a car seat is the middle NO MATTER WHAT.  If for some reason you cannot put it in the middle the next best location is behind the passenger seat.  When putting the carseat base in the middle you can use either the seatbelt or latch, doesn't matter.  Latch is just preferred because it's easy to do vs. using a seatbelt.  When installed the carseat should only be able to move side to side no farther than an inch.  The front should be able to life up because in a crash that flexibility allows it to absorb any shock.  HTH.

not always correct. If the latch connections you would be using are too far apart (check your car seat manual) and you insist on using the car seat in the middle (which is still safer) - you must use the seatbelt ONLY - not the latch - for the car seat to be "safe."

The safest position IS in the middle, BUT if the latches are too far apart you have to use the seatbelt for this to remain true - otherwise you are defeating the purpose of putting the seat in the middle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"