Multiples
Options

Did anyone even use preemie diapers??

I got a pack of Pampers Preemie diapers the other day from another MoM.  She said her twins came home at 6 lbs (and change) each, and the preemie diapers never fit.

I opened one up and HOLY MOLY they are the size of a maxi pad!!  The package says "Up to 4 pounds" so I'm wondering if anyone even used them?  I'm hoping and praying my twins will come home over 4 pounds each.

I'm starting to wonder why they even sell them? 

Anyway, here is a PREEMIE  -  NEWBORN  -  and my sons SIZE 5

Just for reference.

Re: Did anyone even use preemie diapers??

• Options

No we didn't use them and we only had like 1 outfit in preemie that would fit.  My babies were 5.6 and 7.5 pounds when born and a little less when we came home but neither fit in the preemie size diapers or clothes.

• Options
    I was going to buy a small pack of them the last time I was at BRU before my delivery, because I knew my boys may be on the smaller side. But I decided against it, figuring if I needed them, someone could run and buy them for us. My little man was 4 lbs 9 ozs at birth and fit just fine in the Pampers swaddlers the hospital used. I can't imagine anyone using them at home, because if your babies are preemies, don't they have to stay in the hospital until they are 4 lbs? I thought that's how it was at my hospital. In which case, the hospital would have preemie sized diapers for them to wear anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We never used preemies, but our babies were 6 lbs 14oz & 5 lbs 7 oz, born at 37wks. 
  • Options
    We used preemie diapers for about 6 weeks.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    We did. My babies were preemies though born at 32 weeks and we used them for a little bit after they came home from the NICU too.?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, mine were 39 weekers and we used preemie diapers for a few weeks.  DD was 5lbs 6 oz and DS was 6lbs 3 oz.  They were long but skinny.  So yes, preemie diapers get used.  We didn't buy any ahead of time until we knew what we needed.

ETA.  Mine were never in the NICU, roomed in with me for the four days we were in the hospital.   

• Options
    Actually, what you have is a MicroPreemie diaper.  Those go up to 4 lbs. Preemie size diapers go up to 6 lbs.  
  • Options
    My one daughter, Ava, did use the preemie diapers for about a month.  My other daughter, Sofia, used the newborns for a while too.  I just switched Sofia to size one about 2 weeks ago.  Ava will be moving to size 1 this week.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

They sell them because there are babies born that small, and you do know that 50% of multiples are born early, so I am sure there are plenty of people on this board that used or will have to use them.

What would you put on 3lb babies, which is what my girls were...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mommy to twin girls, Ashlyn & Fiona, born at 34 weeks due to vasa previa.
  • Options
    My kids used preemies in the NICU for 4 weeks, then we used them for another 3-4 weeks after they came home. I hope your babies are bigger than mine and don't need them.
  • Options
    We did use about a case or so of the preemie diapers.
  • Options

My kids were 5lb 2oz and 6lb 4oz. When they came home from the hospital, the nurses gave us as many diapers that they could (very sweet of them). A few of the packages were preemie, we used them on dd and when we ran out, we used nb. 

I don't think we would have had to, but we used them because we had them.  

TTC since 7/06, found out about PCOS on 8/31/06 Dec.2007~ Metformin 1500mg, prenatals, Femara 2.5mg)(cd3-7), Gonal F 100iu(cd5-?) and Ovidrel with TI. DH~ antibiotics to improve motility (cd1-10)
    Beta #1 15dpo 298, Beta #2 18dpo 1048
    Family Blog
    Infertility Blog
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers image
  • Options

um, people who have preemies probably used preemie diapers in the beginning.

and p.s - a lot of preemie moms are sensitive about size comments and preemie stuff. we have tiny babies, we get it.  one of the potential risks of having multiples is that a good percentage come prematurely. not all of us are lucky enough to avoid the preemie stage!

• Options
    Actually those are XS preemie diapers (up to 4 lbs). I saw some at work the other day (I work at a children's hospital) and they are considerablly smaller than the regular preemie diapers. Even though my babies aren't outside babies yet, I appreciate the fact that there are diapers that would fit my babies if they are that small.
  • Options
    Mine were both 5lbs 1oz and used newborn up until last week. We never bought preemie and just stocked up on newborn, we figured if we needed them, we would have time to get them..
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We used them for maybe two weeks.  DS was born weighing 4 lbs 9 oz and DD was born weighing 4 lbs 2 oz., but both lost 4 or 5 oz before coming home.  DD wore them longer than DS obviously.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Options

We used them for a while.  My girls were 4lbs 8 oz each at birth.  At 6days old when they left the hospital they were down to 4lb 3 oz and 4lbs 2 oz so they were in preemie.  Once home they gained weight slowly and in other places so even at 5-6 even 7 lbs they were in preemie diapers.  I would say 6-8wks or longer.  Then we were in newborn forever.  

They are 3 and the largest size I ever bought for them was a 3.  Landon was in a 6 by the time he was 3.   

• Options
    We only used preemie diapers in the NICU where they supplied them.  They both came home just under 5lbs. and were using newborn diapers by then.

• Options

imagemrscalkins:
    Actually, what you have is a MicroPreemie diaper.  Those go up to 4 lbs. Preemie size diapers go up to 6 lbs.  

Oh jeez, I had no idea!!  That makes sense now though.  I didn't even know they made micro Preemie!  They do say XS on the package too.

And I apologize if I offended anyone with the 'tiny' comments.  I know I might have to go through this as well and I was just wondering.  I honestly did not mean that in a bad way, I was just so amazed when I took one out of the package.

And I realize some babies are born under 4 lbs, but I was assuming they were usually around 5 by the time they left the hospital.  And that the hospital would provide diapers for them while they were there.

Again, I'm sorry if this was an ignorant post, I was really just curious.

• Options
    The hospital will provide diapers.  I highly doubt that babies who need the micropreemie size would not be at the hospital, but using preemie size at home can be pretty common.  I would probably donate the pack that you have to the hospital, because you hopefully won't be using it at home.  
  • Options
    imageDESXF:

imagemrscalkins:

Oh jeez, I had no idea!!  That makes sense now though.  I didn't even know they made micro Preemie!  They do say XS on the package too.

And I apologize if I offended anyone with the 'tiny' comments.  I know I might have to go through this as well and I was just wondering.  I honestly did not mean that in a bad way, I was just so amazed when I took one out of the package.

And I realize some babies are born under 4 lbs, but I was assuming they were usually around 5 by the time they left the hospital.  And that the hospital would provide diapers for them while they were there.

Again, I'm sorry if this was an ignorant post, I was really just curious.

no worries, i know i'm not actually offended, i am kind of sensitive about preemie stuff though ;)

and FYI, discharge weight depends on the hospital. My little girl came home weighing 3 lb 14 oz and my boy 4 lb 3 oz, so we used preemie diapers for a long time! 

• Options
    My boys were 35 weekers and were 3 lbs 13 oz and 4 lbs 1 oz at birth.  They were in the NICU for 12 days and still came home under 5 pounds.  They were in preemie diapers and clothes for about 8 weeks.  We used a lot of those diapers, my husband would run out to Walmart and buy every pack on their shelves because they seemed to be hard to come by. 
  • Options

i saw them and wondered why they sold them, too - b/c a baby that small would rarely be sent home.

we used newborn diapers for the first 2 weeks i think - used up what people gave us - even though Gibby could have been in a size 1 right away (he was just shy of 8lbs at birth... gray was 6lb 6oz.).

i did have a couple preemie outfits i got in case i did have preemies- and they did fit the boys in that first week home (2nd week of life really).  It was nice to have some clothing for them that wasn't HUGE like the newborn stuff would have been in those first few days home.

• Options
    My boys were 6lbs10oz and 6lbs7oz at birth and each lost 7 oz in the hospital so they came home at 6.3 and 6.0. They were fine in NB diapers but someone had given us a few packs of preemie diapers so we'd have them on hand just in case. We used one pack of them (and some preemie clothes) in the first two weeks and they worked fine. But yeah, if they're micro-preemie diapers chances are good you won't need to use them at home (knock on wood).
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Ok thanks for all the info!

And great tip, I'll donate them to the hospital here when we go take our tour.

• Options
    My girls used them, but only in the NICU. They are super tiny.  When they came home, they were wearing NB diapers,b ut were in preemie clothes for several months. My girls had IUGR and are still pretty tiny. At 14 months (12 mo adj) they are still wearing 9 month clothing (actually just started wearing them) and weigh in at 17 pounds, but they were both 2 1/2 pounds at birth.
  • Options

The little panty liner sized diaper is a micro preemie diaper, not a preemie diaper. My 2lb 7 oz baby wore the micro preemie sized diapers for about a week in the NICU, my 3lb 10oz baby never wore them. Trust me, if you have a baby small enough to need those diapers, you won't be needing to supply them yourself.

Pampers Preemie/Small diapers are the same size as Pampers NB diapers - so you don't need to worry about buying them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"