Texas Babies
Options

question about making your own babyfood

we started J on rice cereal today and I'm planning to do avocado next week....

I want to make my own if I can and checked out a couple sites so I'm excited!  But I want to know when you freeze food in ice cube trays, do you keep the little frozen cubes in the tray or do you put them in something else? Also, how long does the frozen food stay good and how long does it take to thaw?  Or do you just warm the food....

So much I don't know! LOL!

and I'm all open to some baby food making parties if anyone wants to lend their food processor!  I don't have one (yet).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: question about making your own babyfood

• Options

Look at those sites some more.  I think they have info on freezing...etc...how long to keep....

I store in freezer bags...marked with food and date.  

And I'm all for a baby food making party...would even think about hosting it.  It would have to be a weekend though!

• Options

I also stored the cubes in labeled freezer bags.  Check wholesomebabyfood.com for how long it stays good - it was never an issue for us because we went through stuff before it had a chance to go bad.  As long as it stays frozen, I think the biggest issue would be freezer burn, not spoilage. 

For reheating, each night I would put food for the next day in the refrigerator to start thawing, and then heat it up in a cup of hot water (like pumped breast milk).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Just know that's it's really simple. Try sweet potato- that's a fav and it's great to mix with others. Elise isn't a fan of broccoli but she loves it mixed with sweet potato. She loves anything mixed w/ sweet potato! That was her 2nd food. 1st was avacado. I would buy a mini-food processor. They're only like $25-30 and well worth it. I have the big one (12 cup, I think) but use my mini more often it seems.

Just bake the sweet potato like you would a baked potato, peel off the skin, and blend. It's yummy!

The only thing I haven't made it apple sauce. Well, I made it once but I've found that it's actually cheaper to just buy the jarred, organic, unsweetened from HEB. That's also a fav.

• Options
    imagelauren&matt:

Just know that's it's really simple. Try sweet potato- that's a fav and it's great to mix with others. Elise isn't a fan of broccoli but she loves it mixed with sweet potato. She loves anything mixed w/ sweet potato! That was her 2nd food. 1st was avacado. I would buy a mini-food processor. They're only like $25-30 and well worth it. I have the big one (12 cup, I think) but use my mini more often it seems.

Just bake the sweet potato like you would a baked potato, peel off the skin, and blend. It's yummy!

The only thing I haven't made it apple sauce. Well, I made it once but I've found that it's actually cheaper to just buy the jarred, organic, unsweetened from HEB. That's also a fav.

Lauren is Elise still eating a lot of baby food or have you moved on to more finger foods?  Luci won't eat any vegi's or fruits as finger foods.  I am still feeding those as purees.

• Options
    thanks Lauren!
  • Options

where did you all find your ice cube trays to freeze in? I want to get BPA free ones.

• Options
    imageOct1406:

where did you all find your ice cube trays to freeze in? I want to get BPA free ones.

I use the OXO ones from BB&B. They have lids. *But* since I'm not heating them, BPA-free doesn't matter as much ;) 

• Options
    imageMrsGladney:

Lauren is Elise still eating a lot of baby food or have you moved on to more finger foods?  Luci won't eat any vegi's or fruits as finger foods.  I am still feeding those as purees.

Elise is still eating quite a bit of purees. She's horrible at feeding herself (though I probably don't let her practice enough!!! Too messy!!)

She used to eat anything and everything. She's becoming more picky which isn't so cool IMO.

I would say we do 50-50 re purees and finger food. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"