Birth Stories

My Birth Story PIP (long)

Tuesday morning (9-1) I woke up with contractions, nothing horrible, but very promising.  Well, the 3rd time they woke me I got up to use the bathroom, and experienced blood dripping into the toilet.  DH and I were very alarmed by this, and called up L&D.  They of course had me come in.  We got there around 8AM, they hooked me up and checked me.  Contractions were every 5-7 minutes, not painful at all, and I was 1 cm (which I had been for weeks now).  Once at the hospital I stated to get bloody show, much more mucous like; the Dr. said the liquidy blood was just the start of the show.  I guess everyone's is different.  So after 2 hrs and lots of hall walking I was still 1cm.  Now that I knew everything was fine, I wanted to go home and labor.  The Dr. suspected she would see me back later that night.  Right before they let me go my BP jumped up, but with no proteins in my urine and several more BP checks showed it was dropping they did let me go.  I think it was stress induced, because it was really happening! 

So we get home and I start timing away.  By the evening they contractions were longer, more painful, and getting close.  We live very close to the hospital and were waiting till they were 2-3 apart.  By 9:45 PM we were off to the hospital, by foot.  I said I would do it and I did, we needed to stop during contractions, but we were there by 10PM.  Same thing, they hooked me up again, and checked me- 2cm. Ugg that was it.  Well, they told me to walk some more, but I could not.  I stayed on my feet in the room, but the contractions were intense.  2 hrs later they re-checked me and 3cm!  Its official, they were admitting me.  First things first, pain management- Epideral was requested.  After the epi was in place, about 3AM, LO heart rate was dropping during contractions; they check me and was 4-5cm.  They gave me oxygen and kept changing my position throughout the night,  I sleep and around 6am woke up feeling some pressure and pain, and found out I was 7-8cm.  Her heart rate began to stay strong during contractions by now.  Moving right along, not even 2 hrs later I was 10cm!!!!  So here I am, ready to go, the Dr. was paged, and then was called into a c-section.  They told me it would be a while before pushing, so they re-dosed the epi, and all is well.  Finally, at 10:40AM the Dr. arrived and we started, but my contractions were too far apart now, and they started some Pitocin to help out.  Well, before we knew it Autumn Lynn arrived at 12:11 PM.  I was 38w 6d.  The cord was pretty tight around her neck, so the Dr. cut it before she was fully delivered (sorry Daddy), but she started to cry right away.  APGAR was 8 and 9.  She is breathing great and is healthy, but she only weighed in at 5lbs. 4 oz., she is 19.5 in. 

We had a big weight scare the next day,  Apparently, at her weight check about 12hrs old showed she had lost 10% of her body weight! And the nurse did not even inform me or DH or the Pediatrician on staff.   We found out the next morning when the nurses changed, and my new nurse read the chart and was alarmed by the drop.  I was very scared that she would have to go to the nursery and would need a feeding tube.  To everyone's relief her weight was checked again around 36 hr old, and it was the same as her birth weight! The scale that the nurse had used was off by nearly a pound.  The Pediatrician was furious that this was not addressed right away and re-checked on a different scale, but everything ended up being fine.  We came home 9-4-09!  

[IMG]https://i26.tinypic.com/11l1j45.jpg" border="0" />

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My Birth Story PIP (long)

• Congratulations!  Very pretty dress she has on!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow!  I have to admit this is the first birth story I've read and you have me completely emotional after reading.....  I am truly happy for you and your husband!  Your daughter is beautiful (and I agree that her dress is gorgeous)!  I think I'm kind of speechless other than that.  Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am glad she is healthy and beautiful. We had the same scare with weight. DS pedi said breastfeed him before you leave this office or hes going back into the hospital. Turned out the scale was way off.
  • Congrats! I love the name Autumn. 
  • She is so super tiny! I expect my daughter to be around 8 lbs like her big brother. No preemie clothes over here. Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"